Job ID: 141196
Category: CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant)/ Nursing Assistant
Work Type: PT 20+ HOURS
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jul 6, 2022
Work Schedule: Part-time Nights
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Schedule: Part-time Night Shift
General Summary Statement
Responsible for general office management and clerical and receptionist duties on the Nursing Unit. Facilitates order entry and processing. Coordinates administrative support activities.
Adheres to Nursing Policies and Procedures and Organizational Goals and Objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Communications and Customer Service
1. Assists visitors find patient rooms, staff members and other resources.
2. Facilitates transport of patients at discharge.
3. Facilitates the patient belongings process as needed, including that the hand-off of belongings occurs at admission, transfer and discharge.
4. Facilitates calls to physician on behalf of nurses, avoiding duplication.
5. Demonstrates correct use of communication systems such as intercom, pager system, phone functions, pneumatic tube, and other department based systems.
6. Uses unit specific communication tools and applies to practice. Checks email regularly and posts items at the request of nursing leadership. Seeks clarification from Nurse Manager or Director as needed.
7. Performs follow up phone calls to patients if requested by nursing leadership.
8. Performs customer service rounding and surveys for patients upon request of nursing leadership.
9. Answers call bells in a timely manner and communicates needs to responsible staff, or handles themselves if a simple request.
10. Follows up to ensure that call bells have been addressed.
Electronic Order Management and Order Processing
1. Provides assistance to physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professionals as needed in accurate and efficient entry of computer orders (CPOE). Promotes and encourages CPOE.
2. Demonstrates knowledge of order sets that the practitioners may use with CPOE.
3. Actively uses feedback to report to CMIO and physician analysts any physicians who need monitoring or follow up on their CPOE practices.
4. Provides for the accurate and timely processing of Orders, including follow up phone calls
completing consult forms and legibly transcribing on the kardex or any other forms.
5. Monitors frequently for new alerts and other new items on electronic work lists such as Order Acknowledgment Work list, Alerts Work List and Interventions Work List. Notifies the nurses and nursing assistants promptly of any new orders, discontinued orders, alerts, specimens to be collected or treatments.
from Reprint Facility or Operational Reporting as needed.
6. Ensures that the Transfer Level of Care Med Rec Report is on the chart of all preoperative patients.
7. Flags the physical chart when any new orders have been written or electronically entered.
8. Follows unit protocol for dispatch of written medication orders to Pharmacy.
9. Communicates stat orders to the nurse immediately upon receipt.
10. Enters into Soarian any written non-medication patient care orders.
12. Ensures that labeled specimens are sent to laboratory promptly, when requested.
13. Notifies RN if there are any unclear or incorrect orders.
14. Recopies forms when needed.
15. Reviews Daily Clipboard for Daily Lab Orders and enters these for the next day.
16. With RN input, addresses and removes all remaining new orders from the work list before shift change and discharge.
17. Performs Order Entry, Cancel Order, Order Inquiry functions when needed. Reviews orders regularly.
18. Facilitates the patient schedule. Coordinates when there are multiple tests ordered and keeps track of patient location.
19. Monitors specialty bed ordering and discontinuation when patient no longer needs.
20. Initiates the location order set for inpatients that are going to surgery.
1. Places correct labels on all paper chart forms (front and back). Ensures all chart forms are properly labeled.
2. Adds blank forms to charts as needed. Keeps charts neat and pages secure (reinforced).
3. Prints Exit Care documents upon request and puts chart copy in chart; prepares education
packets at request of nurses to use in their patient teaching.
4. Facilitates record requests from or to CCH or other facilities as needed.
5. Assists with metrics and reporting requirements that may arise, for example recording Quality improvement information onto logs or printing work-flow reports.
Patient Flow Responsibilities
1. Manages pending admissions, discharges and transfers, conferring with RN or charge nurses on bed assignment and communicating to ITN when requested.
2. Prints or copies records for patient transfer to another institution when case management is not available.
3. Uses the Financial Application to enter Admissions, Transfers, Discharges, Service Updates, status updates (outpatient to observation status for example), Patient Location management, and other ADT functions as needed and in a timely manner.
4. Monitors isolation census in consultation with RN- removing patient from isolation and discontinuing isolation equipment if screening has returned negative. Updates isolation code in Soarian if requested.
5. Maintains census logs. Prints census sheet for the next shift as requested.
6. Ensures that required Medicare paperwork has been signed and given to the patient and the chart copy placed in the chart when Case Management is not available.
7. In ACC, assists in preparing stretchers and picking up blood products from the blood bank.
Management of Unit Environment
1. Orders, picks up, and restocks supplies and equipment from Store Room, Central Supply or outside vendor as requested. Returns equipment to appropriate department as needed.
2. Plans, organizes and executes routine maintenance and storage of office supplies, including printers.
3. Performs refrigerator temperature checks and checks Warmers as requested.
4. Maintains supply of needed forms, patient handbook, downtime forms.
5. Assists others in keeping the nurse/work station organized and maintaining common spaces.
6. Places SOS and manages follow up for appropriate service functions to support the unit environment, including all computer equipment issues. Ensures that computer equipment (COWs, in room devices, and desktops) is in working order.
7. Calls the Siemens Help Desk on behalf of staff and initiates tickets.
8. Enters patient charges as appropriate for unit.
Patient Care Responsibilities
1. Provides age appropriate care for the patient population served. For example, gives consideration to growth & developmental phase of life, to age related factors such as thermal regulation, nutrition, safety and functional needs of the patient.
2. Uses appropriate resources for patients with special needs such as language barriers, sensory problems, altered cognition, cultural and religious needs.
3. Integrates principles of infection control & infection prevention into practice.
4. Uses standard precautions and uses personal protective equipment.
5. Interacts with the patient in a manner that preserves patient dignity, privacy, and meets psychosocial needs of the patient.
6. Bathes patients and provides assistance with hygiene. (Includes baths, mouth care, shaves males, combs hair, washes patient’s hair as requested.)
7. Changes bed linens for occupied and unoccupied beds.
8. Changes incontinent patients promptly and provides appropriate skin care.
9. Empties bedpans, urinals, commodes, and assists patient to the bathroom.
10. Assists patients with meals, feeds patients as needed.
11. Distributes nourishment as scheduled.
12. Provides fresh water at bedside as appropriate.
13. Measures and records intake and output.
14. Positions patients correctly, aligns and supports torso and limbs as directed and per patient comfort.
15. Transports patients via wheelchair or stretcher using safety measures appropriate for patient and vehicle.
16. Uses proper body mechanics when transferring patient during ambulation and bed – chair transfers.
17. Makes hourly rounds for patient safety and customer service.
18. Responds to patient call lights in a timely manner.
19. Obtains vital signs and weights, and records.
20. Applies chest leads for patients on remote telemetry monitoring, and performs basic troubleshooting, such as replacing loose or missing electrodes.
21. Collects and labels urine, stool, sputum specimens as directed.
22. Inventories patient belongings at admission, transfer and discharge.
23. Provides 1:1 patient supervision in “Sitter” role for patient safety and suicide precautions.
24. Uses resources and references for reviewing policies and procedures, information needed to complete job duties.
25. Prioritizes and organizes work effectively within assigned shift.
26. Performs procedures within the scope of the Policy and Procedure Manual.
27. Performs EKG’s for patients as requested by RN.
1. Communicates patient and unit information to the RN and interdisciplinary care team in a timely manner.
2. Seeks help from RN when needed.
3. Informs the RN when experiencing difficulty completing an assignment.
4. Receives report and clarifies information as needed.
5. Informs RN when leaving the unit for any reason.
6. Accepts assignments and performs as a team member.
7. Introduces self to patient and explains procedures to patient and family.
8. Reinforces information to patients and family such as safety precautions for falls prevention, visiting hours, etc.
1. Documents patient care in an accurate, professional and timely manner using Soarian and paper documentation forms according to policy and procedure.
1. Develops own knowledge via practice, observation, and attending continuing education programs.
2. Promotes best practice by demonstrating a commitment to quality patient care.
3. Serves as a preceptor and mentor for new employees.
4. Demonstrates verbal and writing skills that are appropriate for healthcare communication.
7. Adheres to the Department of Nursing Dress Code.
Department of Nursing and Organization Support
1. Attends assigned committee meetings and contributes to the committees.
2. Communicates support of organizational values and strategies.
3. Supports the following organizational programs: Magnet®, Joint Commission Disease Specific Certification, and Nursing Councils. Performs job duties in accordance with these standards.
1. Maintains equipment in working order. Uses equipment appropriately, follows Department policies for equipment and supply use, cleaning and maintenance.
2. Performs assigned duties to maintain unit in a state of survey readiness and maintain quality initiatives. For example, maintain patient privacy and confidentiality adhering to HIPAA, nurse station area cleanliness, etc.
3. Performs assigned duties such as unit errands, stocking supplies, returning equipment to Central Supply, answering unit phone, etc.
4. Adheres to unit programs to support patient care such as maintaining a quiet environment, customer service, etc.
5. Keeps work environment neat and organized.
Education Training and Experience
High School diploma or equivalent.
Training and/or experience at an acute care facility or student nurse with hospital based clinical experience. Knowledge of medical terminology. Previous secretarial skills preferred. Training and/or experience at an acute care facility or student nurse with hospital based clinical experience. Computer skills: keyboard, mouse use. Ability to complete data entry on clinical documentation screens. Ability to use email, and internet. Understands English.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.