Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Senior Patient Services Associate
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 141131
Work Type: FT
Location: Hamilton, NJ, United States
Work Schedule: variable
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- • The Senior Patient Services Associate (Sr. PSA) is responsible for updating patient insurance/billing information, performing all back- end charging activities, collaborating with benefit verification team, Utilization Management and HIM to ensure accurate and timely revenue cycle management. Based on extensive knowledge of Penn Chart (EPIC) serves as a resource and provides support to other PAS team members.
- The Senior Patient Services Associate (Sr. PSA) assists the outpatient sites/departments in the maintaining a strong patient/customer focus; supports the delivery of highest quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer-centered care, and assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction, financial and operational targets.
- Validates patient demographic/insurance information and/or registers new patients into EPIC using established protocols
- Ensures appropriate HAR is assigned to registration/insurance
- Independently resolves work queues and/or anticipates issues from front-end reports which may include the patient pre & post visit, charge review, and others as requested; proactively prioritizes recovery of missing charges.
- Analyzes work queues relative to CFB, denial management and charge review
- Generates and analyzes reports related to front-end processes, as requested
- Maintains advanced knowledge of insurance requirements pertinent to patient services and billing procedures, including all managed care plans
- Demonstrates proficiency with automated systems such as EPIC (including in basket), Navinet and SQL
- Assists with the on-boarding and training of new Patient Service Associates.
- Enters and makes corrections to PB & HB back end charges (BEC) for outpatient sites
- Collaborates with financial administrative team to ensure accurate billing processes
- Acts in a lead role in the absence of the Supervisor
- Provides back-up to benefit verification team as needed
- Patient Services:
- Utilizes advanced knowledge to assist others in scheduling protocols
- Assigns proper billing area/appointment location
- Cancels/reschedules appointments as needed
- Communicates schedule changes to local Outpatient Site, Transportation and/or Admissions
- Maintains SQL reports to support scheduling and revenue cycle
- Communicates with local Outpatient Site regarding patient flow; makes supervisor aware of potential concerns
- Links referrals for patients as required and as per protocol
- Independently analyzes EPIC work queues and resolves scheduling concerns as they arise
- Coordinates with Central Admissions, Transportation, Utilization Management as needed
- Strives to create and maintain a culture of safety and service excellence through the following accountabilities:
- Interacts with physicians and staff a positive, pleasant and professional manner
- Listens carefully and communicates clearly with physicians and staff to ensure understanding of patient’s request. Analyzes problems form the customer’s point of view
- Establishes positive relationships with local Outpatient Sites demonstrating knowledge of patient history with practice, treating them with compassion, and responding to their individual needs
- Handles stressful situations appropriately
- Delivers seamless patient/customer service and provides service recovery as needed
- Ensures patient/family confidentially; supports patient and family safety Strives to understand and value differences in others’ race, gender, nationality, and age; modifies interactions as needed to accommodate diverse needs of the patient/family. Displays age-appropriate competencies for the patient populations served
- Identifies opportunities to improve the patient experience, including areas identified in patient satisfaction surveys. Provides comments and feedback to management team to maintain and improve quality of services
- Participates in department, entity and organization- wide initiatives relative to Patent/Employee Safety
- Ensures communication and collaboration with clinical staff and co-workers to serve patients to the best of his/her ability
- Shows initiative, sets priorities, organizes tasks, and works independently and as part of a team while completing daily tasks and supporting others on the team
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- High School Graduate/GED/Equivalent Work Exp. required
2-3 years of medical experience preferred, or 4 years customer service experience required.
Thorough knowledge of third party insurance coverage guidelines preferred.
Advanced degree may be considered in lieu of experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE