Job ID: 143083
Category: Clinical Support
Work Type: FT
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jul 7, 2022
Work Schedule: Full time days
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
General Summary Statement
Responsible for general office management and clerical and receptionist duties on the Nursing Unit. Facilitates order entry and processing. Coordinates administrative support activities.
Adheres to Nursing Policies and Procedures and Organizational Goals and Objectives.
Unit Coordinator/Nursing Assistant Select Float Pool - day shift
Essential Duties and ResponsibilitiesCommunications and Customer Service
2. Facilitates transport of patients at discharge.
3. Facilitates the patient belongings process as needed, including that the hand-off of belongings occurs at admission, transfer and discharge.
4. Facilitates calls to physician on behalf of nurses, avoiding duplication.
5. Demonstrates correct use of communication systems such as intercom, pager system, phone functions, pneumatic tube, and other department based systems.
6. Uses unit specific communication tools and applies to practice. Checks email regularly and posts items at the request of nursing leadership. Seeks clarification from Nurse Manager or Director as needed.
7. Performs follow up phone calls to patients if requested by nursing leadership.
8. Performs customer service rounding and surveys for patients upon request of nursing leadership.
9. Answers call bells in a timely manner and communicates needs to responsible staff, or handles themselves if a simple request.
10. Follows up to ensure that call bells have been addressed.
Electronic Order Management and Order Processing
1. Provides assistance to physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professionals as needed in accurate and efficient entry of computer orders (CPOE). Promotes and encourages CPOE.
2. Demonstrates knowledge of order sets that the practitioners may use with CPOE.
3. Actively uses feedback to report to CMIO and physician analysts any physicians who need monitoring or follow up on their CPOE practices.
4. Provides for the accurate and timely processing of Orders, including follow up phone calls
completing consult forms and legibly transcribing on the kardex or any other forms.
5. Monitors frequently for new alerts and other new items on electronic work lists such as Order Acknowledgment Work list, Alerts Work List and Interventions Work List. Notifies the nurses and nursing assistants promptly of any new orders, discontinued orders, alerts, specimens to be collected or treatments.
from Reprint Facility or Operational Reporting as needed.
6. Ensures that the Transfer Level of Care Med Rec Report is on the chart of all preoperative patients.
7. Flags the physical chart when any new orders have been written or electronically entered.
8. Follows unit protocol for dispatch of written medication orders to Pharmacy.
9. Communicates stat orders to the nurse immediately upon receipt.
10. Enters into Soarian any written non-medication patient care orders.
12. Ensures that labeled specimens are sent to laboratory promptly, when requested.
13. Notifies RN if there are any unclear or incorrect orders.
Education Training and Experience
High School diploma or equivalent.
Training and/or experience at an acute care facility or student nurse with hospital based clinical experience. Knowledge of medical terminology. Previous secretarial skills preferred. Training and/or experience at an acute care facility or student nurse with hospital based clinical experience. Computer skills: keyboard, mouse use. Ability to complete data entry on clinical documentation screens. Ability to use email, and internet. Understands English.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.