Job ID: 141239
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jul 7, 2022
Work Schedule: Night Shift 40 hours per week
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Penn Presbyterian Medical Center is seeking a Night shift Medical Lab Scientist.
Responsibilies for this position include but are not limited to the following:
Performs waived, moderate and/or high-complexity tests and procedures in clinical laboratory sections under the direction of the Supervisor.
•Performs appropriately requested clinical laboratory analyses on all types of laboratory specimens, produces and documents accurate laboratory results for diagnosis and treatment of disease.
•May be required to perform phlebotomy for diagnostic testing on patients of all age groups.
• Applies knowledge and skills to perform accurately, all routine and complex laboratory procedures for which competency has been established and authorization to perform testing has been granted. Follows all lab pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical procedures covering specimen, analytical test system and result reporting requirements.
• Monitors, performs, and documents all Quality Control, maintenance and calibration procedures according to established protocols and accreditation agency standards. Identifies issues/factors that adversely affect test performance. Provides technical support to staff, physicians, and personnel to resolve any issues related to laboratory testing.
• Starts up, shuts down, and performs maintenance of lab equipment and instruments. Takes appropriate corrective action according to established procedures, when test system performance deviates from acceptable level. Documents all corrective actions taken including calling technical support. Immediately notifies Supervisor and/or Director if unable to resolve test system issue. Ensures test results are not reported until all corrective action has been taken and test system is performing within specifications.
• Participates in Proficiency Testing and ensures proficiency testing is performed in the same manner as patient specimens. Maintains compliance with Proficiency Testing policies. As directed by the Supervisor, maintains and updates laboratory policies, procedure manuals and specified documents required for review by regulatory agencies. Ensures that all employees are kept up to date with these changes.
• Assists the supervisor in specified activities that ensure laboratory compliance with all accreditation agencies. Compliance with Competency accreditation guidelines is a staff responsibility that must be completed annually. May function as the General Supervisor for selected duties when required.
• Demonstrates initiative in continually improving personal knowledge, skills, and work experience; and in improving departmental functioning.
• Works well with Supervisors and those in authority; works at establishing a good rapport and cooperative working relationship with all members of the laboratory; maintains a positive rapport with medical staff and hospital personnel. Responsible for maintaining adequate staffing on all shifts, weekends and holidays.
• As directed by the Supervisor, coordinates the training of new employees and teach students. Performs method validations, linearity, and parallel studies on all laboratory instruments as assigned. Investigates laboratory incident reports and documents the findings as per UPHS procedures.
• Maintains a clean, orderly and safe work area. Complies with Hospital, Laboratory, Safety and HIPPA regulations; notifies Supervisor when hazards are found, completes mandatory in-services on, or before the due date. Maintains inventory of supplies needed to keep the section in working order. Provides Supervisor with adequate notification when supplies need to be replenished. Participates in PI activities including preparation of various CEQI reports for the area. Displays willingness to adapt to changing department demands.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Please apply if you possess these qualifications:
Bachelor's Degree in MLS or other biological or chemical science or U.S. equivalent (substantiated by foreign credential evaluation statement) required
Broad knowledge of various laboratory methods and techniques, quality assurance, in addition to PC and LIS knowledge required
Current MLS Certification by a minimum knowledge based exam such as the Board of Certification (ASCP) or equivalent required or 5 years of experience as a Medical Laboratory Scientist I required
Skills and Abilities
X Strong quantitative and analytical abilities are essential
X Strong analysis and problem solving skills
X Strong written and communication skills; ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of clients and staff
X Demonstrated time management and priority setting skills
X Ability to analyze, diagnose, suggest and implement process changes
X Motivated, high-energy individual; anticipates and removes roadblocks to meet deadlines and deliver work products efficiently
X Demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills
X Must have creative ability
X Represents Penn Medicine in a consistently professional manner
X Ability to work as part of a team
X Highly effective verbal communication and interpersonal skills to establish working relations that foster optimal patient care
X A thoughtful individual, politically astute with strong diplomatic skills. Outstanding relationship building skills
X Demonstrated ability to deliver results on a timely basis
X A courageous and innovative individual with a "can do attitude" who can inspire an organization to do its best even in difficult circumstances
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.