Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Laboratory Assistant I - Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
Job ID: 140651
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: PT 20+ HOURS
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jul 7, 2022
Work Schedule: Days 20 Hours per week
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Penn Presbyterian Medical Center has a part time Lab Assistant position opportunity.
A Laboratory Assistant is an individual trained on-the-job to process a variety of clinical specimens for diagnostic laboratory testing and access associated records.
Responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Performs assigned patient-sample processing activities; Follows established SOPs for the ordering and processing of biological specimens for analysis and evaluates and solves problems related to that process.
- Operates the pneumatic tube system properly and observes all Infection Control policies while handling specimens; Provides timely distribution of specimens to appropriate laboratory sections; Maintains accurate and orderly log records and/or worksheets where required according to SOP’s.
- Maintains a safe and orderly work area; Demonstrates safe work practices; Keeps work area free from personal documents & items.
- Answers phone in a professional, courteous, and timely manner speaking to caller in a caring manner; Answers questions or refers callers to the appropriate source; Avoids putting caller on hold or transferring call unnecessarily; Researches phone inquiries regarding specimen collection or test results by referencing available manuals and records, and calls caller back promptly.
- Understands collection requirements for special or referral testing, prepares specimens, ensures integrity and correctness of sample, and arranges for dispatch and pick-up of specimens as needed; Keeps current with laboratory minutes and documented changes; Maintains inventory of equipment and supplies, and appropriately communicates the need to re-order before supplies run out.
- Assist with the instruction of procedures and techniques to other employees; Performs daily temperature checks on rooms, refrigerators, freezers, incubators and preventive maintenance on centrifuges as needed.
- Complies with Hospital, Laboratory, Safety and HIPAA regulations; Notifies Supervisor or Safety Officer of hazards when found; Completes annual mandatories on or before the due date; Responsible for maintaining adequate staffing on all three shifts, weekends, and holidays.
High School Diploma or equivalent level of education required
Prior experience in hospital laboratory receiving area preferred
Prior experience with the Laboratory Information System preferred
Certification as a PBT or MLA by a minimum knowledge-based exam such as
the Board of Certification PBT (ASCP) or MLA (ASCP) preferred
Certified individuals will be hired as Laboratory Assistant II.
Ability to use Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word)
Represents Penn Medicine in a consistently professional manner
Ability to work as part of a team
Highly effective verbal communication and interpersonal skills to establish working relations that foster optimal patient care
Demonstrated ability to deliver results on a timely basis
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE