Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Lactation Consultant RN - Intensive Care Nursery - Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP)
Job ID: 141045
Work Type: PT 20+ HOURS
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jul 8, 2022
Work Schedule: Evening Shift Hours
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) Intensive Care Nursery (ICN) is looking for a Lactation Consultant RN (Part-time/Evening Shift) to join the team. The selected candidate will have the following responsibilities.
- The Lactation Consultant nurse (LC) functions to enhance the normal process of lactation and to prevent, assess, and manage lactation problems in the in-patient setting. The Lactation Consultant is a health care provider who is qualified to provide education and consultation for routine and special circumstances related to breastfeeding.
- The Lactation Consultant (LC) collaborates with multi-disciplinary team members to develop plans of care for breastfeeding families, performs consultations at appropriate intervals and anticipates the patient discharge and establishes appropriate plan of care. The ICN-LC develops appropriate nurse-patient/family relationships integrating patient/family concerns, beliefs and values into the plan of care. The LC continually evaluates the effectiveness of this plan of care and adapts the plan based on the patient's response.
- The LC also: completes an initial assessment using principles of interviewing, observation, and physical assessments.
- Demonstrates the proper use of breast pumps and other breastfeeding accessories.
- Provides assistance via telephone to pregnant and lactating women requiring information, counseling, follow-up, and refers them to appropriate programs.
- Serves as a breastfeeding advocate, encouraging informed decision-making.
- Orients new nursing staff to the infant feeding policy and practice guidelines and serves as a mentor for Lactation Interns.
- Demonstrates safe practice within the UPHS professional practice model and demonstrates UPHS core values which reflect its mission.
- Provides direct care to patients who may range in age from infancy to the middle adulthood and demonstrates competency within the domains of clinical judgment and decision-making, nurse-patient/family relationship, clinical leadership and clinical scholarship.
- Maintains a competent level of knowledge and skill with providing direct care.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide individualized care based on physical, psychosocial, cultural, educational, safety, and age appropriate considerations of assigned patients.
- Complies with all regulations and standards of regulatory and accrediting bodies.
- Supports the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative by promoting the 10 Steps to Successful Breastfeeding and adhering to the international code of marketing of breast milk substitutes.
- Assures patient confidentiality, privacy, and advocates for both verbal and non-verbal patient.
- The Clinical Judgment and Decision Making skills are characterized by:
- Competent clinical judgment in the delivery of patient care.
- Consistent organization and prioritization of workload, confident management of emergency situations and effective communication and documentation.
- Safely using common equipment and medications in the practice setting and consults others when unfamiliar situations occur.
- The LC demonstrates Clinical Leadership skills by:
- Exhibiting professional behavior, utilizing appropriate resources and demonstrating flexibility.
- Adhering to all entity policies and all mandatory educational requirements.
- Contributing to the appropriate use of resources and establishing quality of nursing care as a priority.
- Sharing clinical concerns with nursing leadership, delegates and follows through as appropriate.
- Effectively works with others in a respectful manner with sensitivity to cultural and role differences.
- Supporting colleagues, assists in the professional development of others and maintains open communication.
- The ICN-LC demonstrates Clinical Scholarship by:
- Participating in quality improvement initiatives.
- Incorporating evidence-based changes into his/her practice.
- Identifying personal learning needs, establishes and follows through on professional goals which support unit, entity and UPHS goals.
- PNT or RN (Required)
- International Board of Lactation Consultant (Required)
- International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners Certification or Other accredited program obtained within 18 months of hire
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
2 years Intensive Care Nursery (ICN) Experience
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE