Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Phlebotomist - Media, PA
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 143388
Work Type: FT
Location: Media, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- A Phlebotomist processes a variety of clinical specimens for diagnostic laboratory testing, and access associated records. They are trained on-the-job or through a structured Phlebotomy program to draw blood for patients for diagnostic testing.
- Explains appropriate information according to age and developmental level of patients and visitors. Identifies communication barriers and intervenes appropriately. Recognizes cultural differences and the need to adjust communications styles and behaviors to meet the needs of the patient. Listens to patient‘s queries, comments and/or concerns and provides appropriate information and responses. Introduces self when interacting with patients, families, visitors or other employees.
- Entry of (release of) patient demographics, test orders, billing information into a variety of computer systems. Follows established techniques for the collection of biological specimens for analysis, and evaluates and solves problems related to that process. Performs accurate venipuncture and micro (capillary) techniques in sample collection.
- Properly labels specimens with 100% accuracy. Draws all timed/scheduled samples in a timely manner. Observes emotional and physical state of patient for any adverse reactions to phlebotomy.
- Follows established procedures for the processing of biological specimens for analysis, and evaluates and solves problems related to that process. Observes all Infection Control policies while handling specimens and disposes of infectious waste properly. Provides timely distribution of specimens.
- Maintains accurate and orderly log records and/or worksheets where required according to practice protocol. Maintains a safe and orderly work area: demonstrates safe work practices. Keeps work area free from personal documents & items. Answers phone in a professional and courteous manner. Answers questions or refers callers to the appropriate source. Avoids putting caller on hold or transferring call unnecessarily.
- Researches phone inquiries regarding specimen collection or test results by referencing available manuals and records, and calls caller back promptly. Understands collection requirements for special or referral testing, prepares specimens, ensure integrity and correctness of sample and arranges for dispatch and pick-up of specimens. Reports abnormal test results to supervisor or provider.
- Maintains inventory of equipment and supplies, and notifies Supervisor of the need to re-order before supplies run out. Cleans equipment as requested and per protocol. Assist with the instruction of procedures and techniques to other employees and students. Performs daily temperature checks on rooms, refrigerators, freezers, incubators and preventive maintenance on centrifuges as needed.
- As needed and requested, assists with the administration of vaccines and/or other injections.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Associate of Arts or Science within medical field
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Completion of Medical Assistant or Phlebotomy training program.
No experience required – but at least 5 years of prior phlebotomy experience could be considered in lieu of program completion
MA or Phlebotomy certification preferred
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE