Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Software Developer - Way to Health (Center for Health Care Innovation) - REMOTE
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 142694
Category: Information Services/Technology/Service Desk/Telecom
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: 8:00AM-5:00PM, M-F | Hybrid
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Software Developer plays a critical role in extending and supporting the Way to Health platform - designing and building new features to enable novel patient engagement strategies, improving the user interface for our patients and providers, and troubleshooting issues affecting our users. This position requires strong technical ability to design and build web applications and APIs, clear communication with team members and users to deeply understand user needs, and creativity to solve issues and meet requirements while paying off rather than accruing technical debt.
- Way to Health is a patient engagement and research platform, which has been used to power over 100 research studies and clinical programs improving the health of our patients. As just one example, the Heart Safe Motherhood program uses our platform to text postpartum mothers about their blood pressure for 10 days, allowing us to catch mothers at risk for preeclampsia long before they would otherwise show up in an ambulance.
- Feature Development: Building new features for the platform, meeting requirements specified in tickets while following best practices.
- Quality Assurance: Evolving and supporting QA processes, writing automated unit and functional tests for new features, documenting work clearly, reviewing other developers' code, and finding ways to continuously improve quality.
- Support: On a rotating basis as the developer support lead, diagnosing reported issues, identifying the source of problems, determining an appropriate path to resolution and implementing fixes.
- Product: Collaborating with the product team, users, and other stakeholders to provide feedback into product development and architecting new features.
- Process Improvement: Participating in an agile (Scrum) development process, working with the team to iteratively improve our processes to deliver high-quality code, award-winning customer support, and a top-notch user experience.
- Infrastructure: Working with infrastructure providers to plan for future needs and ensure timely, efficient and reliable delivery.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity and health system organization.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree required; preferably in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field required.
- 3+ years’ experience in developing multi-tiered web applications; preferably using PHP frameworks (e.g. Symfony, Laravel, etc.) or web frameworks in other languages (e.g. Ruby on Rails, Django/Python, .NET MVC, etc.)
- 1+ years of experience building web applications using client-side frameworks such as Vue, React, or Angular preferred.
Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of modern RDBMS database design and management (MySQL experience preferred; Oracle, Postgres, or MS-SQL acceptable).
- Proven ability to understand end-user needs, translate them into technical requirements, and work with end-users to ensure their needs are met in a timely fashion.
- Ability to diagnose and solve complex user-reported or system-identified issues in production.
- Experience with version control systems such as Git.
- Detail oriented with the ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Experience with automated testing preferred.
- Experience with VueJS preferred.
- Experience with open source projects preferred.
- Knowledge of research and clinical environment; particularly in the areas of patient engagement, data management, and research environments, and the related regulatory frameworks (HIPAA, HITRUST) preferred.
- Experience with Agile development methodologies, especially Scrum preferred.
- Experience with HL7 or other healthcare communication protocols preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE