Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Family Nurse Practitioner - Family Medicine Practice (Penn Medicine University City)
Job ID: 143826
Category: Nurse Practitioner/ Physician Assistant
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jul 11, 2022
Work Schedule: Days
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Department of Family Medicine in the Penn Medicine University City location is searching for a dynamic Family Nurse Practitioner for their practice.
In the primary care outpatient setting, the FNP acts as a key member of the health care team with various roles to fill. This FNP will serve as an acute care provider. This provider will manage the acutely ill patient, coordinating and communicating when necessary with the primary care provider.
The FNP also supports the triage nurses and other providers within the practice through a process of dual level triage. These sessions are allotted based on clinical need as dictated by the Medical Director.
The FNP is also responsible for providing care management services to high needs patients assigned to the practice. This includes working collaboratively with the Population Health Director and nursing staff to actively manage the health care of patients with complex needs through in-person visits, telephonic encounters and coordination with other service providers.
FNP’s are encouraged to work within the quality improvement structure of the department to take an active role in quality efforts. This may take the form of active involvement in team meetings or participation within the patient centered medical home model. FNP’s may also act as educators for NP students rotating within the office. This should not be expected at all times or be significantly burdensome as to interfere with clinical care of the patients within the provider’s panel.
Incumbent is responsible to promote organizational values of patient and visitor satisfaction by demonstrating courtesy and respect for all their families, visitors, and other employees. This position cares for patients in all age groups from newborns through geriatrics, and the candidate must maintain licensure and demonstrate competence in the assessment, treatment, and care of patients served.
The identified collaborating physician will evaluate the FNP's Clinical Skills and Competence as part of their annual performance review
- All CRNPs function under the guidelines as designed by the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center medical staff guidelines and are credentialed through that body. The CRNP will be held accountable through a formal job description, delineation of privileges, and through their agreement with their collaborating physician and a Collaborative Practice Agreement. All clinical work hours and associated requirements will be defined and managed under the direction of the collaborating physician/division designee, and within the Human Resource guidelines.
- The Nurse Practitioner contributes to excellence in education, leadership, professional contribution and practice.
- Provides direct clinical care for patient population according to established protocols and utilizes evidence based practice standards in collaboration with team.
- Maintains accurate and confidential medical records. Documents all medical evaluations, diagnoses, procedures, treatments, outcomes, education, referrals, and consultations consistent with organizational standards in the electronic health record (EHR).
- Identifies self properly to the patient and family, and clarifies the role of the nurse practitioner if necessary.
- The nurse practitioner should function within their scope and refer to the collaborating physician when outside of scope, and/or directed by the collaborating physician or when requested by the patient and/or family. Performs interventions specific to assigned patient population and collaborative agreement.
- Participates in the performance improvement processes to meet quality of care and service standards.
- Demonstrates awareness of professional responsibility as role model to peers and members of the health care team.
- Perform approved therapeutic or diagnostic procedures based upon patient’s clinical status.
- Addresses patient and family concerns and creates a therapeutic relationship to provide support.
- Provide patient education, counseling and instruction regarding patient diagnosis, medical treatments, medications, and preventative care.
- Participate in and support accreditation, compliance and regulatory activities of the organization.
- Precept NP students and other health care learners.
- Identifies patient/family needs for community resources and refers appropriately.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- ACLS (For providers in the acute care setting) required
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- BLS/CPR, as a healthcare provider as per the American Heart Association (For providers in the ambulatory setting) required
- Certified Nurse PractitionerPA (Required)
- PA and/or NJ CRNP licensure (CRNP) required.
- Prescriptive Authority (Required)
- PA and/or NJ Prescriptive Authority required.
- Registered Nurse - PA (Required)
- PA and/or NJ RN licensure (RN) required.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Master of Science Nursing (Required)
- Master's Degree or Doctor of Nursing Practice(DNP) in Nursing required and > 2.5 years of experience, The CRNP must be reviewed by the Credentials Committee and approved by the Medical Board.
National Board Certification required.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE