Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Instrument Processing Technn
Job ID: 143996
Work Type: PT 20+ HOURS
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jul 12, 2022
Work Schedule: shift 2
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Instrument Processing Technician is responsible for receiving and processing incoming supplies and equipment, performs cleaning sterilizing duties, prepares instrument trays in central supply under the direction of the shift supervisor.
- Decontaminates, cleans, and processes instruments and equipment, and the inspects instruments and identifies those in need of repairs.
- Accurately assembles instrument trays and case carts, and completes daily unit assignment within appropriate time frame.
- Attends a minimum of 12 hours of education time to include in-services and contact hours which consists of 85% attendance of staff meetings and/or documents 100% review of minutes.
- Demonstrates quality care based on standards, policies and procedures as evidenced through quality control monitoring tools (i.e., QC, occurrence reports, and observation).
- Performs biological testing on all sterilizers as they pertain to the shift as assigned and maintain the appropriate records relating to sterilization and biological monitoring.
- Decontaminates, cleans and processes flexible scopes and ultrasound probes manually and AER (automatic endoscope reprocessor).
- Assists with the orientation of personnel to unit functions and standards.
- CBSPD or CRCST (Required)
- One of the below listed certifications is acceptable:
IAHCSMM (International Association of Healthcare Central Service Material Management)
CBSPD (Certification Board of Sterile Processing and Distribution)
AST (Association of Surgical Technologist)
NCCT (National Center for Competency Testing)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- H.S. Diploma/GED required.
Graduate of a Central Processing or Surgical Technician Program. Completed a central processing training course and/or internship within a hospital/medical center.
Previous hospital experience as a Central Processing or Operating Room Technician preferred. Must be able to operate vacuum displacement sterilizers, Cart washers and washer sterilizers, sonic washers and instrument tracking systems.
Must be a certified central service technician or surgical technician from one of the four certification bodies at the time of hire or acquire certification within 18 months of the date of hire.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE