Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Chief Operating Officer Orthopaedic Surgery
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 144563
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Per Departmental Needs
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Reporting to the Chair of the Department of Orthopaedics with a matrixed reporting relationship to the Executive Director of Clinical Practices of the University of Pennsylvania, the Chief Operating Officer will be responsible for managing the administrative, operational, research management and financial aspects for the Department and will provide strong leadership to advance the three missions of the Department: research, clinical service, and education. The COOs direct reports are the Associate Chief Operating Officer, Director of Research, and the Director of Finance. The COO will assess operating procedures to enhance quality and will monitor operational budgets. This individual must be able to make difficult decisions and be equitable in applying sound fiscal policy and accountability. This individual will develop relationships with internal and external constituencies and most importantly, build a strong and cohesive partnership with the Chair of the Department and the Executive Director.
- Internal Relationships:
- Medical Leadership: Strong collaboration with the Chair to ensure departmental goals are met. Based on established creditability and trust, show ability to represent department leadership to faculty in regular meetings and daily interactions. Proactively identify faculty concerns and issues, and partner with the Chair for appropriate resolution.
- Employee Communication and Engagement: Regularly meet with UPHS and University leadership and staff to improve communication and to build productive relationships. Continuously communicate to staff the importance of the patient experience, quality of care, and sound financial performance, and champion successes and priorities for improving performance in meeting and exceeding patient and customer expectations.
- Internal Partnerships: Work with the Clinical Practices of the University of Pennsylvania, the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, the Veteran’s Administration, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia leadership, the hospitals in the UPHS family, department faculty, clinical leadership, entity leadership, affiliates and suppliers in developing research, educational, and clinical programs, services and initiatives to anticipate future customer needs, build customer loyalty and generate profitable growth. Support the Chair in implementing organizational changes as needs evolve. Drive operational integration of programs by ensuring alignment of communication to UPHS Leadership
- External Relationships:
- Customer Relations: Personally spend time with faculty, independent UPHS physicians, referring M.D.s, patients and volunteers to understand their respective needs and expectations, to build relationships, and to gauge patient/customer satisfaction. Ensure patient and customer satisfaction through comprehensive and continuous measurement of customer satisfaction for all key customer groups.
- Clinical Service Line Partner: Support Business Development & Affiliation and Marketing in partnering with affiliates to develop mutually beneficial clinical and operational programs.
- Owned & Affiliated Facilities: Partner with owned and affiliated facilities in areas of access and program development, clinical collaboration and network development.
- Professional Associations & Benchmarking: Interface with industry associations as a representative of the organization to identify benchmarks.
- University Relations: Partner with the Chair in building and enhancing positive relationships with University leadership.
- Community Relations: Build productive business partnerships and relationships with the community. Participate in community activities as appropriate.
- Patient Care Processes:
- Ensure all Department patient care related processes deliver high quality and efficient care to patients and their families.
- Ensure all Department facilities and environments of care are clean, safe and patient friendly.
- Ensure all outsourced services meet agreed upon service standards in support of all patient care processes.
- Support the creation of clinical effectiveness targets, improvement plans and reporting systems to ensure the delivery of high quality, effective and efficient patient care.
- Ensure that teams and individuals have the clinical, information and organizational tools to serve patients and customers effectively and efficiently.
- Oversee academic pursuits in research and translational efforts.
- Financial Management:
- Oversee physician revenue generation and third-party regulatory compliance through application of standardized financial counseling.
- Oversee physician services cost analyses focused on identifying and managing physician productivity and product management.
- Facilitate open sharing of physician productivity data.
- Develop and provide access to statistically valid benchmarking data.
- Oversee financial modeling of clinical practice performance.
- Provide decision support tools and analytic support through use of CPT data.
- Direct multi-complex organizational and financial problem-solving as it relates to physician services productivity, reimbursement, ICD, CPT and HCFA coding compliance documentation and site-specific professional, technical and global fee billing.
- Perform impact analysis of actual or proposed changes in payment methodologies (i.e., APC, MAPS, RVU updates, fee schedules).
- Develop and participate in the analysis and evaluation of strategic business plans, feasibility studies, market assessment, marketing plans, data gathering, and presentation of written reports on prospective new clinical programs and opportunities for enhanced professional and diagnostic revenue.
- Regulatory Compliance:
- For all University, UPHS and Perelman School of Medicine staff within the department, ensure all areas of accountability are compliant with all federal, state and local regulatory standards and requirements, including Joint Commission, Department of Health, funding agencies, FDA, HIPAA, HCFA, DPW, department specific NIH guidelines, and others.
- Manage insurers’ QA Audits and represent Department with any necessary response.
- Review, implement and ensure compliance of regulatory and legislative changes for all third parties.
- Continually assess operating procedures and take action to ensure on-going quality improvement.
- Plan, monitor and manage the operations budget to ensure achievement of operational and financial goals.
- Manage all space planning efforts to ensure that efficient use of all clinical, research and administrative space is utilized.
- Oversee the efficient, effective flow of materials to continuously improve the delivery of quality patient care and customer satisfaction.
- Ensure effective utilization of materials, staff and financial resources.
- Faculty Recruitment
- Proactively partner with chair to identify faculty recruitment needs
- Job posting in alignment with PSOM guidelines
- Create a viable financial model supported by and in alignment with PSOM and UPHS expectations
- Facilitate talent selection process to include vetting candidates
- Manage salary negotiation process
- Sponsored Research Management:
- Exercise resource stewardship to ensure compliance with related policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all departmental, PSOM, UPHS, federal and other external rules and regulations governing the multiple programs and missions of the department.
- Participate with department leadership to develop and implement objectives to enhance and expand the research portfolio in accordance with the department’s multi-year academic plans.
- Provide leadership, direction and administration of all aspects of sponsored program administration (pre and post award) activities to ensure accomplishment of objectives and to the satisfaction of the Chair/director and faculty of the department.
- Manage and ensure compliance of sponsored programs during pre-and post-award periods, including effort report certification.
- Ensure oversight and proper administration of all sponsored program awards in accordance with sponsor requirements, including notifying appropriate parties of excess or shortage of grant funds and recommend appropriate resolution.
- Change Management:
- Proactively develop and implement change management strategy for major organizational activities and events in alignment with UPHS objectives.
- Ensure communication plans are effectively implemented with appropriate follow-up.
- Manage routine and crisis communications throughout the department/entity/community as they arise.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Master of Arts or Science (Required)
- Master's degree in Healthcare, Business Administration or related field and at least 10 years of progressively responsible administrative and financial leadership experience in an academic medicine and/or research setting or comparably complex environment and with financial oversight of at least a $15-million enterprise. A keen understanding of and experience with integrated academic healthcare systems and in clinical practice management. Knowledge of healthcare reimbursement and medical school research funding is critical.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE