Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Clinical Nurse Educator RN- Medsurg- Pennsylvania Hospital
Job ID: 141402
Category: CNS (Clinical Nurse Specialist)
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jul 14, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Pennsylvania Hospital is seeking a Clinical Nurse Educator for our general medsurg unit !
- The Clinical Nurse Education Specialist (CNES) is a master's or doctoral-prepared nurse who functions as a clinical leader at a high level of performance related to nursing education, professional development, research and evidence-based practice, project management, mentoring, and coaching. The CNES oversees nursing role development, competency management, orientation, and translation of the best evidence into nursing practice in support of achieving safe, quality patient care. They serve as a vital liaison to communicate and negotiate multiple perspectives in the organization. Doing so in a respectful and effective manner allows them to advocate for and achieve positive change, optimal care delivery, and an engaged nursing team. The CNES (a) drives change within the organization through effective communication and clinical judgement; (b) applies critical thinking and analytical skills to design and implement initiatives; and (c) partners effectively with clinical teams.
- The CNES demonstrates a strong knowledge base within a clinical specialty area and is self-directed and purposeful in maintaining current professional knowledge and competence within that specialty. Leveraging advanced education and training, they are accountable for leading nursing practice by supporting nurses who care for patients at the bedside and driving practice change at the unit, service line, entity, and system levels.
- The CNES utilizes best evidence and process improvement/quality improvement methodologies to achieve optimal patient outcomes. Applying critical thinking and analytic skills, the CNES designs and implements change initiatives for improving nursing practice. As a leader, the CNES guides the interprofessional team in elevating nursing practice. The CNES also values and participates in knowledge sharing in local, state, and/or national forums.
- The CNES fosters the development of nurses and members of other disciplines through clinical support, coaching, teaching, and mentoring. They engage the interprofessional team through feedback, bidirectional communication, and shared decision making. The CNES has accountabilities to new hires and the ongoing development of clinical nurses, providing support that promotes recruitment and retention.
- Systems Leadership
- Provides consultative patient care in partnership with nurses, inter-professional care team members, and patients/ families
- Sets strategic goals that align with clinical and operational organizational imperatives
- Designs and implements strategies to achieve high priority goals (e.g., nursing-sensitive indicators, population-specific quality metrics, patient and nursing satisfaction)
- Builds partnership within and across diverse stakeholder groups through leadership, team building, negotiation, and conflict resolution
- Contributes to systematic quality and safety initiatives based on precise problem identification, gap analysis, and/or process evaluation
- Leads change efforts in response to organizational and community needs
- Education and Professional Development
- Improves professional practice and the provision of quality care through assessment of learning needs and practice gaps for roles within the nursing department
- Oversees delivery of a comprehensive unit-based orientation program to onboard newly hired staff within the nursing department at entity and system levels
- Leads the provision of continuing nursing education (CNE) and supports interprofessional continuing education (IPCE) to develop practice, research, education, administration, and advocacy with the aim of improving health, enhancing collaboration, and supporting pursuit of professional goals
- Supports IPCE to enhance collaboration and teamwork and promote a shared responsibility for health outcomes
- Leads competency development through assessment, coordination, management, facilitation, design, and evaluation
- Drives outcomes through the development, implementation and evaluation of educational programs that address opportunities for improvement in knowledge, skill or practice
- Assesses and synthesizes data to design, implement, and evaluate clinical interventions that address patient/population needs
- Utilizes best evidence to establish and improve nursing practice
- Provides leadership to the inter-professional team in the development, implementation, and evaluation of evidence-based practices Participates in knowledge sharing via local, state, and/or national forums
- Leads nurses in designing, implementing, and evaluating practice change
- Clinical support and coaching for nurses and other disciplines
- Fosters nurses’ professional development through teaching, mentoring, and coaching
- Provides feedback to nurses about professional practice
- Engages nursing staff in effective communication and shared decision making
- Cultivates a healthy, ethical, and respectful work environment
- Supports new hires to enhance recruitment and retention
- Registered Nurse - PA (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Master of Arts or Science (Required)
- 2+ years Nursing Education.
2+ years Staff Development preferred.
Specialty Nursing Certification (ANCC-approved); required within one year of hire if not already certified
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE