Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
RN Outpatient Services
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 143366
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Day
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Registered Nurse Outpatient supports the practice manager and physicians in fulfilling the mission of PPMC and UPHS. The Registered Nurse Outpatient assists the practice manager and physicians in maintaining a patient/customer focus, supports the delivery of the highest quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer centered care, and assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction and financial and operational targets.
- Patient/Customer Accountabilities: Creates a positive work environment to enhance effective care delivery. Promotes a calm, safe, professional atmosphere for patients. Takes personal responsibility for positive patient experience and improved practice performance. Establishes positive relationships with patients by demonstrating knowledge of patient history with practice, treating them with compassion and responding to their individual needs. Focuses practice on patient needs by communicating patient information to practice employees as appropriate (e.g., financial and time constraints, past experiences). Informs and educates patient families of condition, care and follow-up as appropriate. Advises patients about office policies and procedures; returns patient phone calls to give medical information after consulting with the physician. Identifies opportunities for performance improvement.
- Patient/Employee Safety Accountibilities: Participates in Entity and Department wide initiatives for Patient /Employee safety. Demonstrates an awareness of patient/ employee safety when carrying out daily responsibilities of their position. Validation of annual competencies required for the position.
- Works within the scope of practice as designated by the individual’s state board of nursing.
- Demonstrates competence in the assessment, treatment and care within age specific guidelines.
- Obtains patient’s vital signs as needed, including height, weight, temperature, and pulse; reports abnormal values to provider; documents properly.
- Performs EKG’s, screening tests such as spirometry, after properly preparing the patient; and accurately documents the results.
- Prepares paper work to complete patient visit, including encounter forms, lab slips, x-ray requests, insurance forms, referrals, precertification, school/work forms, etc.
- Keeps providers and patients informed of delays in patient schedule.
- Ensures that the patient care areas are kept neat, orderly, well stocked and properly prepared. Assures prescription pads are not accessible by patients.
- Cleans, disinfects, and sterilizes instruments and equipment according to protocols and checks that instruments and equipment are in proper working order.
- Maintains medication storage closets; checks expiration dates; removes outdated items, Secures clinical and medical supplies/equipment in appropriate area.
- Manages Epic Inbox for patients of assigned providers on a daily basis. Responds to all patient needs in a timely fashion and efficient manner.
- Utilizes office guidelines for telephone triage. Speaks with provider if call is outside their scope of expertise.
- Assists with minor surgical procedures when requested.
- Assists provider in exam rooms when requested.
- Assists in orienting new team members and serves as resource to LPN’s and Medical Assistants.
- Utilizes available resources to meet deadlines and enhance performance.
- Adheres to universal body fluids precautions and infection control policies. Disposes of infectious waste properly.
- Complies with yearly education requirements including HIPAA, OSHA, Safety, and CLIA.
- Often assumes short-term responsibility for tasks that lie outside of his/her role.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Registered Nurse - PA (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE