This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 145420
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Per Diem Hours (Based on the Unit Needs)
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is looking for a PRN Cytology Prep Technician (PRN) to join the team!
• Applies knowledge and skills when performing routine staining, mounting, and special procedures to detect evidence of cancer and other pathological conditions producing accurate and complete results
• Operates and maintains complex instruments, procedures and computer systems
• Communicates effectively with co-workers, supervisor and patient units for clinical diagnoses on cases
• Manages infectious specimens, hazardous chemicals, and potentially dangerous instruments in accordance to established hospital policies to maintain a safe working environment
• Continuously strengthens knowledge of laboratory principles and tests through participation in continuing education programs and individual research efforts
• Communicates laboratory results, procedures and policies to physicians and other hospital personnel
• Recognizes critical conditions and responds
• Cyto prepare Gyn and Non-Gyn specimens for staining and cell block preparation
• Maintain staining stations
• Stain slides utilizing automation and manual techniques
• Coverslip slides
• Prepare graded alcohols and stains
• Discard chemicals according to policies and procedures
• Trains and orients new employees, residents, and students
• Assists in the development of new technologies and test methodologies
• Evaluates new equipment
• Demonstrates financial accountability, accurate documentation of workload, and efficient use of reagents and supplies
• Performs other duties in area of responsibility that may be assigned
Education or Equivalent Experience:
• High School Diploma or equivalent
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.