Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
In this role the NP/PA will support the Gastroenterology & Bariatric surgeons in the practice. The NP/PA will have their independent clinics located at the Penn Medicine Washington Square location and hours will be 8am - 4:30pm, Monday-Friday. This position has a dual reporting structure and the NP/PA will report to the Sr. Clinical Manager and Supervising Physician(s) who will be responsible for the administrative oversight of the position as it pertains to the Department of Surgery, as well as, implementation/oversight of selected hospital CEQI indicators that are chosen for each clinical department. In addition, a collaborating physician will be identified from the Division of Gastrointestinal surgery who will be responsible for direct oversight of the clinical role and lead orientation to the clinical unit and ongoing assessment of the clinical skills. The identified collaborating physician will evaluate the NP/PA's Clinical Skills and Competence as part of their annual performance review.
- All CRNP/PAs function under the guidelines as designed by the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center medical staff guidelines and are credentialed through that body. The CRNP/PAs will be held accountable through a formal job description, delineation of privileges, and through their agreement with their collaborating physician and a Collaborative Practice Agreement. All clinical work hours and associated requirements will be defined and managed under the direction of the collaborating physician/division designee, and within the Human Resource guidelines.
- The CRNP/PAs contributes to excellence in education, leadership, professional contribution and practice.
- Provides direct clinical care for patient population according to established protocols and utilizes evidence based practice standards in collaboration with team.
- Maintains accurate and confidential medical records. Documents all medical evaluations, diagnoses, procedures, treatments, outcomes, education, referrals, and consultations consistent with organizational standards in the electronic health record (EHR).
- Identifies self properly to the patient and family, and clarifies the role of the nurse practitioner if necessary.
- The CRNP/PAs should function within their scope and refer to the collaborating physician when outside of scope, and/or directed by the collaborating physician or when requested by the patient and/or family.
- Performs interventions specific to assigned patient population and collaborative agreement.
- Participates in the performance improvement processes to meet quality of care and service standards.
- Demonstrates awareness of professional responsibility as role model to peers and members of the health care team.
- Perform approved therapeutic or diagnostic procedures based upon patient’s clinical status.
- Addresses patient and family concerns and creates a therapeutic relationship to provide support.
- Provide patient education, counseling and instruction regarding patient diagnosis, medical treatments, medications, and preventative care.
- Participate in and support accreditation, compliance and regulatory activities of the organization.
- Precept CRNP/PA students and other health care learners.
- Identifies patient/family needs for community resources and refers appropriately.
Licensed to practice professional nursing in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, M.S.N, and certification as a nurse practitioner. Prior to employment, the CRNP must be reviewed by the Credentials Committee and approved by the Medical Board.
Licensed to practice as a physician assistant in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, M.H.S., and certification as a Physician Assistant. Prior to employment, the PA must be reviewed by the Credentials Committee and approved by the Medical Board.
Both Pennsylvania and New Jersey NP/PA Licenses required
Board Certification Required
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.