Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Labor & Delivery Surgical Technician at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP)
Job ID: 146102
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jul 29, 2022
Work Schedule: Night Shift Hours
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is looking for a Labor & Delivery Surgical Technician to join the team!
- Delivers patient care and collects data under the direction of the registered nurse, incorporating organizational competencies of superior quality care, communication, and team work with a focus on the patient and responsibility/accountability for role performance outcomes. Supports HUP's Standards of Excellence.
- Demonstrates Professionalism within the framework of Patient/Family -Centered Care.
- Demonstrates Teamwork by displaying a cooperative relationship with co-workers by consistently treating others with respect and always using open and honest communication.
- Promotes Patient/Family Centered Care by showing courtesy, compassion, sensitivity and respect in all interactions with patients, visitors and other hospital personnel.
- Displays a cooperative attitude and responds with respect to directions and recommendations from
- Supports ongoing improvement of client satisfaction:
- Returns phone calls and emails promptly.
- Attends meetings as requested.
- Is culturally sensitive to clients/patients environment.
- Is knowledgeable in their area of technical expertise.
- Timeliness on completing projects.
- Data provided is accurate and reliable.
- Verbalizes knowledge of sterile technique principles and demonstrates same.
- Demonstrates correct technique for scrubbing, drying, gowning, and gloving.
- Assists physician in gowning and gloving.
- Correctly sets up instruments and equipment for L&D operative procedures.
- Executes proper count procedures.
- Passes correct instruments during procedures.
- Maintains awareness of sterile field, notifies surgeon of breach of same.
- Breaks down room after operative event or delivery.
- Prepares instruments for collection and processing by instrument processing personnel
- Under the direction of the Registered Nurse:
- Collects data regarding patient physical functioning and consistently communicates appropriate data to Registered Nurse in timely and accurate manner.
- Monitors vital signs.
- Measures patient height, weight.
- Measures oral intake and output.
- Consistently documents all data collected, in collaboration with patient, family, Registered Nurse, and other team members following HUP guidelines.
- Consistently performs routine maintenance, calibration, and quality control checks on patient care equipment.
- Communicates with Registered Nurse to assist with repair process for equipment identified as malfunctioning and obtains replacement equipment in timely manner.
- Consistently maintains inventory of patient care supplies.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by Registered Nurse.
- Assigned patients are consistently addressed appropriately by title and last name unless patient has verbally specified another form of address. Will appropriately introduce self and role in care.
- Consistently follows all expectations associated with HUP’s Standards for Service Excellence.
- Consistently assists assigned patients with activities of daily living.
- Consistently assists assigned patients with mobility using safe transfer techniques and maintaining patient safety at all times.
- Consistently and accurately performs technical care tasks as directed by registered Nurse.
- All interactions with patients and families reflect customer service expectations.
- Shows initiative, innovativeness, flexibility and demonstrates problem solving ability.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- If the OB Technician completes a nursing degree and obtains nursing licensure they may continue to practice within the scope of the OB Technician job description until they are able to transition into a different position within or external to the organization. Refer to ADM 22 Nursing Assistant/Technician Performance Agreement Upon Completion of Nursing Degree.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE