Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Quality & Safety Data Analyst
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 149359
Category: Quality/Performance Improvement
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Aug 15, 2022
Work Schedule: 8:00AM-4:30PM, M-F | Hybrid
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Responsible for safety data management for the HUP Quality and Safety Department. Conducts complex qualitative and quantitative analyses to identify safety trends, opportunities for improving event management, and making recommendations aligned with the organization's priorities and risk tolerance.
- Accountabilities include: designing dashboards/reports using varied data systems (e.g., RL Solutions safety event reporting system, Tableau, etc.); administering the safety event reporting system for the hospital; managing requests for data from the safety event reporting system in accordance with applicable standards (e.g., IRB approval, patient safety work product); and developing processes to assist with efficient data capture and tracking of varied safety venues to support spread and sustainment of organizational learning.
- Working with the Director Analytics, work to create extraction transformation and load procedures to create tables containing safety data in department's data bricks data mart to support metric reporting that will be aligned at the unit level with other HUP Q&S metrics.
- Successful candidates will demonstrate:
- Professional maturity to work collaboratively with health system employees in a sensitive clinical environment.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to write persuasively and contextualize data to inform improvement initiatives.
- Ability to drive change in the design of event reporting forms that improves human-centeredness, data quality, efficiency, and/or capability.
- Creativity to support the development and ongoing management of a hospital-wide safety risk portfolio.
- Skills in: logical if/and/or statements, MS Office (Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Word), SQL a plus, VBA a plus, attention to detail, resourcefulness, research skills, site administration.
- Provide leadership and other stakeholders with accurate, meaningful, actionable, accessible, and interpretable reports, dashboards, and narratives.
- Ensures access to timely and accurate data necessitated by state, federal, and local regulations in accordance with excellence programs, and for optimal business process management and operations.
- Continually evaluates data collection and reporting to optimize business processes (e.g., progressive automation, improved transparency).
- Maintains clearly documented standard operating procedures for all routine processes and deliverables.
- Fosters a collaborative work environment acting as an analytics consultant for leadership and other stakeholders throughout the hospital and health system.
- Manages projects, removes obstacles when possible, escalates issues as necessary, and keeps relevant stakeholders informed of progress.
- Incumbent will need to skillfully interact with external vendors, governmental and regulatory agencies, and patient safety organizations as well as internal suppliers and customers of data.
- Create, maintain, and document load procedures for safety data into departmental data mart
- Other duties as assigned. Perform duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, polices, and procedures.
- Bachelor's Degree (Required); preferably in Health Care Management/Info Systems
- 3+ years of experience with health data or information management and/or data analytics (Required)
Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of healthcare operations
- Demonstrated consultative, team building, and group facilitative skills
- Ability to communicate with internal and external constituents
- Ability to maintain clinical and administrative responsibility for organization and delivery of services
- Knowledge of healthcare operations and data structures and the use of information system applications in the practicing healthcare environment
- Ability to implement process improvements
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations
- Experience with MS Office suite (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint)
- Strong MS Excel skills required
- Database experience such as MS Access, SQL Server, MySql, or Oracle
- Able to translate complex information into simple explanations that are generally interpretable
- SQL and query tuning skills - (Preferred)
- Scripting skills (e.g. Python) - (Preferred)
- Ability to drive multiple projects with overlapping timeframes - (Preferred)
- Knowledge of national standards for quality, safety and healthcare standards - (Preferred)
- Visualization Software Experience such as Tableau or Power BI - (Preferred)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE