Job ID: 147798
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: FT
Location: Plainsboro, NJ, United States
Date Posted: Aug 16, 2022
Work Schedule: Day Shift
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Penn Medicine Princeton Health is seeking a full-time Med Tech interested in working the night shift within Blood Bank. Join our team of educated, knowledgeable professionals in an environment that supports growth, learning, and professional development. Our Lab does streamlined automation and electronic cross-matching. We use software that assists with antibody identification.
Additionally, we transfuse about 250 products per month, and have an occasional Massive Transfusion Protocol or Neonatal transfusion. We test about 1,000 samples per month, including about 50 Antibody Identifications per month.
Maintains in-depth knowledge of procedures related to donor processing and transfusion services. Performs manual and automated procedures to assure the safety of blood transfusions and the blood supply. Work independently with attention to detail to interpret complex test results and resolve instrument and/or serologic problems. Performs all duties in accordance with the applicable regulatory requirements. Responsible for duties relating the QC/PM Programs.
Some job functions and duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Performs and interprets basic and advanced technical procedures on blood samples and completes required quality control
• Maintains equipment, reagents and other supplies to assure the quality and accuracy of blood bank test procedures. Perform preventive maintenance and performance checks on departmental equipment
• Knows and helps oversee compliance with applicable federal and state laws
• Assumes complete responsibility for the accuracy of study results.
• Recognizes testing irregularities, identifies the cause, determines the solution and resolves the problems or refers it to the appropriate levels. Interface with staff to provide assistance in the resolution of problems
• Adheres to explicit standard operating procedures.
• Work independently with attention to detail to interpret complex test results and resolve instrument and/or serologic problems
• Bachelor’s degree in chemical, biological or laboratory science/medical technology science required
Related Work Experience
• Recent experience in blood banking
Licensure, Certification or Registration Requirements:
• MT (ASCP or NCA), MLS(ASCP), or previously qualified as Medical Technologist prior to 2/28/92 under 42CFR493.1427 (3/14/90) REQUIRED
• If candidate does not possess ASCP certification, they must be eligible to take the exam within 6 months of hire.
Specialized Skills & Knowledge Requirements:
• Proven ability to work with related complex automated instrumentation
• Required to function with complex automated instrumentation and report results in writing and by telephone.We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.