Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
GI Tech - Pennsylvania Hospital
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 125320
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The GI Technician, under the direction of the Lead GI Technician, and in cooperation with the entire patient care team, assists in maintaining the physical environment, sets up and maintains equipment and supplies for procedures, assists all members of the procedure room staff, performs appropriate patient care activities, complies with standards and regulatory functions, conducts supply functions, and assists with varying clerical functions in the endoscopy suite.
- Cleans and prepares rooms between procedures, by cleaning beds, counters, light source carts, emptying suction canisters, disposing of full needle containers, and then setting up appropriate equipment for the next procedure
- Cleans all procedure rooms as needed throughout the day
- Disposes of infectious waste / linen according to established guidelines. Utilizes standard precautions.
- Maintains the reprocessing room by emptying suction canisters, disposing of sharps containers, and surface decontamination.
- Equipment and Supplies
- Cleans and disinfects the flexible endoscopes and accessory equipment
- Prepares accessory equipment for sterilization
- Documents the leak testing, cleaning / disinfection process of all endoscopes on appropriate log
- Performs maintenance of scope washing system
- Stocks all rooms with equipment and supplies. Inventories supplies in each room on a daily basis based on established par levels. This includes disposable med/surgical supplies as well as disposable and reusable accessory equipment
- Performs daily start up and shut down of computer systems
- Prior to each procedure, performs check of air, water and suction function of endoscopes, also white balance and set up of equipment
- Begins pre cleaning of scope in procedure room; transports scope to scope reprocessing room
- Notifies supervisor of any defect /damage in equipment, and prepares equipment which needs to be sent in for repair.
- Patient Care
- Assists with simple patient care duties in PACU, i.e. changing patients, ambulating patients, assisting patients to the bathroom, and transferring patients to and from procedure room
- Helps in expediting all procedures, by caring for immediate needs of the patients
- Performs as an assistant (as established via training and competency assessment) to the attending physician and anesthesia provider under the direction of the attending physician
- Charts appropriate procedure documentation
- Appropriately handles all tissues / specimens using established guidelines
- Assists with Performance Improvement activities
- Clerical Duties
- Inputs patient schedule into computer system
- Performs faxing, specimen logs, and other clerical duties as directed
- Maintains reprocessing logs
- Quality of Work / Professional Values
- Accepts assignment willingly to meet unit needs
- Establishes and maintains effective interpersonal relationships with other health team members, as well as patients and families
- Acts as a resource person for new employees
- Attends in-service programs and staff meetings
- Utilizes unassigned time appropriately and constructively
- Stays current on new practices and procedures utilizing formal and informal training
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Diploma from an accredited program in Surgical Technology, Medical Assistant, or related field preferred.
- Previous GI or perioperative experience preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE