Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Medical Laboratory Scientist - Flow Cytometry Technical Specialist @ HUP
Job ID: 145748
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Aug 23, 2022
Work Schedule: Based on the needs of the department
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is looking for a Medical Laboratory Scientist - Flow Cytometry Technical Specialist (Full Time/Day Shift) to join the Flow Cytometry Lab!
- The incumbent's primary responsibility is to manage the daily technical and administrative functions of their individual laboratory section(s); ensure compliance with institutional and laboratory policies and procedures; evaluate and recommend technical methods based on clinical and financial parameters; ensure that written and approved technical procedures and documentation are maintained for each determination performed.
- Technical Services: Monitor pre-analytical, analytical and post analytical phases of test systems; Periodically reviews the range and types of tests offered to ensure laboratory services remains supportive of advances in laboratory testing systems; Keeps abreast of technical development in area of specialization; acts as a resource person for the section’s services; maintains technical ability and knowledge required to supervise the performance of any procedure in the section; Assists in the formulation and monitoring of a Quality Control/Quality Improvement program; takes responsibility for staff errors; As assigned, oversees and resolves test system problems for all assays through instrument troubleshooting, assessing operator performance and monitoring trends in patient data and quality control data to determine proper instrument/method performance; As assigned, develops new assays through to validation; As assigned, ensure enrollment in appropriate Proficiency Testing programs which meet federal, state and accrediting agency requirements. Manages the entry of results into appropriate database for all proficiency testing results; Monitors workflow and workload within the sections adapts operational plan accordingly in a timely manner; Assists clinicians and researchers in utilizing lab services in support of special projects and research protocols. Meets with clinical research sponsors/auditors to review lab service support for various clinical trials; As assigned, ensures equipment is maintained with appropriate documentation; follows manufacturer’s guidelines and routine preventive maintenance schedules for all equipment in the sections; As required, assumes bench responsibilities when required; maintains competency in all technical aspects of the section; is able to perform, troubleshoot, and explain each test procedure currently performed in the section; Performs teaching functions with residents/fellows, Medical Laboratory Science and other students.
- Regulatory Compliance: Works with the Division’s Quality Assurance manager in functioning as liaison to accrediting / regulatory agencies in preparation for inspections, site visits, documentation of compliance, deficiency corrections, status changes and licensing renewals; Maintains an updated database related to Federal, State and local government agencies and professional accrediting agencies’ regulatory requirements impacting lab operations including: AABB, CMS(Center for Medicare/Medicaid Services), DOH (Appropriate state Dept. of Health), DOH (Bureau of Laboratories), CAP (College of American Pathologists), CLSI (Clinical laboratory Standards Institute), FDA, FACT, TJC (The Joint Commission), OSHA (Occupational Safety and health Act), NRC (Nuclear Regulatory Commission), DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency), DOT (Dept. of Transportation: Shipment of Hazardous Material); Ensures that all quality control, instrument records, test records and other documentation are maintained in a manner which complies with all regulatory requirements; Ensures that review of department operating policies and processes are performed within required time limits; Monitors and participates in department efforts to maintain a safe working environment through development of safety policies, ongoing surveillance of environment and work practices. Ensures deficiencies noted are corrected.
- Appropriate certification from ASCP (Preferred)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required) in Medical Laboratory Science or other biological or chemical science or U.S. equivalent (substantiated by foreign credential evaluation statement)
- 2+ years Clinical lab experience (Preferred)
- Previous experience as a Medical Laboratory Scientist or Medical Technologist (Preferred)
- Previous experience in Flow Cytometry (Preferred)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE