Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Diversion Prevention and Inventory Coordinator
Job ID: 150900
Work Type: FT
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Date Posted: Aug 24, 2022
Work Schedule: Full-Time Day Shift
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Diversion Prevention and Inventory Optimization Coordinator is responsible for oversight of controlled substance (CS) accountability and compliance relative to provision and coordination of data, benchmarking, audits, inventory control, and resolution of discrepancies including follow up and reconciliation. The person will monitor all CS activity from receipt to administration and wasting. This person also identifies and manages risk points impacting all clinical and procedural areas under the CCH license including CPUP, to assure legal compliance and business continuity. This person partners with Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical, Quality and Human Resources leadership to assure regulatory and legal compliance related to CS. Represents Pharmacy at Vizient contracting meetings. Reviews reverse distributor reports to reconcile credit. Develops optimizations strategies to manage the drug inventory in the automated dispense cabinets (ADC) the inpatient and cancer center pharmacies.
- Manages all proactive diversion reports to identify potential risks. Collaborates with inter-professional leadership to address all issues. All diversion prevention activity is performed in conjunction with pharmacy, nursing, and medical leadership.
- Reviews CS activity daily in decentralized automated dispensing machines. Monitors all CS activity from receipt to administration and wasting. Troubleshoots CS related errors including cabinet errors.
- Identifies and reports CS risk points and audits all risk points on a regularly defined schedule. Reviews systems and identifies areas for improvement on an ongoing basis.
- Reviews Anesthesia activity ensure appropriate use. Sends appropriate communication for outstanding
- issues. Reviews data with appropriate anesthesia leadership as needed.
- Educates internal and external customers regarding safe and compliant CS processes.
- Facilitates in the processing of expired controlled medication to the vendors and the reconciliation of reports to ensure accountability.
- Attends Vizient monthly Value Savings Program meetings and reconciles contract pricing and new contracts with the pharmacy purchasers.
- Reconciles reverse distributor reports with credit received and provides reports on medications for possible removal from inventory.
- Works directly with the automated dispensing cabinet coordinator to reduce slow mover inventory and delete medications with no usage for the past several months.
- Works with the Revenue Integrity and Finance Teams to view utilization analytics to review medication reimbursements and specific overall use of medications per provider.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science
- At least 2 years hospital pharmacy experience.
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- At least 1 year experience with Pharmacy automation - i.e. experience with automated dispensing cabinet, automated carousel, smart pumps, experience handling controlled substances.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE