This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 149537
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Monday to Friday (3:30 PM to 12:00 AM)
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is looking for a Full-time Technical Supervisor II (Monday to Friday / 3:30 PM to 12:00 AM) to join the Central Receiving Laboratory.
The incumbent's primary responsibility is to manage the daily technical and administrative functions of their individual laboratory section(s); ensure compliance with institutional and laboratory policies and procedures; evaluate and recommend technical methods based on clinical and financial parameters; ensure that written and approved technical procedures and documentation are maintained for each determination performed; and manage personnel.
• Technical Services: Monitor pre-analytical, analytical and post analytical phases of test systems; Periodically reviews the range and types of tests offered to ensure laboratory services remains supportive of advances in clinical laboratory testing systems; Keeps abreast of technical development in area of specialization; acts as a resource person for the section’s services; maintains technical ability and knowledge required to supervise the performance of any procedure in the section; Assumes overall responsibility for the formulation and monitoring of a Quality Control/Quality Improvement program; takes responsibility for staff errors; Oversees and resolves test system problems for all assays through instrument troubleshooting, assessing operator performance and monitoring trends in patient data and quality control data to determine proper instrument/method performance; Ensure enrollment in appropriate Proficiency Testing programs which meet federal, state and accrediting agency requirements. Manages the entry of results into appropriate database for all proficiency testing results; Monitors workflow and workload within the sections adapts operational plan accordingly in a timely manner; Assists clinicians and researchers in utilizing lab services in support of special projects and research protocols. Meets with clinical research sponsors/auditors to review lab service support for various clinical trials; Manages and eliminates process workarounds; Assures equipment is maintained with appropriate documentation; follows manufacturer’s guidelines and routine preventive maintenance schedules for all equipment in the sections; Assumes bench responsibilities when required; maintains competency in all technical aspects of the section; is able to perform, troubleshoot, and explain each test procedure currently performed in the section; Performs teaching functions with residents and Medical Laboratory Science Students.
• Regulatory Compliance: Works with the Division’s Quality Assurance manager in functioning as liaison to accrediting / regulatory agencies in preparation for inspections, site visits, documentation of compliance, deficiency corrections, status changes and licensing renewals; Maintains an updated database related to Federal, State and local government agencies and professional accrediting agencies’ regulatory requirements impacting lab operations including: AABB, CMS(Center for Medicare/Medicaid Services), DOH (Appropriate state Dept. of Health), DOH (Bureau of Laboratories), CAP (College of American Pathologists), CLSI (Clinical laboratory Standards Institute), FDA, FACT, TJC (The Joint Commission), OSHA (Occupational Safety and health Act), NRC (Nuclear Regulatory Commission), DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency), DOT (Dept. of Transportation: Shipment of Hazardous Material); Ensures that all quality control, instrument records, test records and other documentation are maintained in a manner which complies with all regulatory requirements; Ensures that review of department operating policies and processes are performed within required time limits; Monitors and participates in department efforts to maintain a safe working environment through development of safety policies, ongoing surveillance of environment and work practices. Ensures deficiencies noted are corrected.
• Fiscal Management: Works with Administrative Director or Technical Manager to coordinate and collate department(s) annual capital, payroll and non-payroll budget projection.; Assist finance in preparing appropriate justification and/or RPIs for new program or replacement item funding; Reviews monthly expense reports and variance reports and assists in devising strategies for minimizing expense variances by taking corrective action to resolve unfavorable budget variances; Develops and maintains updated database of cost/test for all tests performed in the laboratory section; Reconciles monthly financial reports with monthly workload volume reports to ensure appropriate billing. Manages inventory through reagent utilization analysis; Collaborates with management to establish competitive pricing for business development by reviewing competitor pricing and recommending adjustments as needed; Plans overall staffing levels and schedules within approved budget; Controls and oversees purchasing of supplies for the section; Assures patient charges are processed accurately.
• Staff Development: Ensures all staff involved in moderately complex or highly complex testing meet personnel qualification requirements as defined by federal, state and accrediting agency regulations; Ensures that staff have completed the required annual competencies required to meet regulatory compliance; Completes annual performance review for all individuals under his/her supervision; Mentors and provides opportunities for team members to develop existing and new competencies through routine and on-going coaching and feedback; Guides team in fostering an environment that supports diversity and promotes trust, integrity and high performance; Ensures completion of UPHS mandatory health screenings, annual training programs and performance evaluations for all employees; Collaborates with Human Resources in staff recruitment process; Conducts regular staff meetings to share information, solicit feedback and build productive relationships; Plans and coordinates continuing education programs designed to maintain and increase the technical skills and knowledge of self and assist staff to reach full potential; Continuously communicates to staff the importance of patient satisfaction, quality of care, and sound financial performance; Effective and timely performance management such that: Clearly defines work expectations, Recognizes and rewards individuals for a job well done, Addresses performance issues immediately and directly; Meets regularly with Administrative Director. Ensures that reports and other deliverables are submitted on a timely and accurate basis; Acts as a role model for staff by supporting management’s position, containing and preventing rumors, controlling dissention, promoting patient and staff relations and displaying pride in work; Oversees the training of new employees assigned to the section; assures new hires are adequately trained.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures.
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree Biological and Chemical Sciences
• 2+ years of Clinical Lab experience
• Must meet requirements as a general supervisor under CLIA-88
• Additional education and or training in Management or Lab Management (Preferred)
• 2+ years of experience managing high volume clinical labs while meeting superior customer satisfaction expectations (Preferred)
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.