Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 150899
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: 8:30AM-5:00PM, M-F | Hybrid
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Working as part of the Penn Medicine Communications department, the Communications Manager will serve as internal and external communications manager for Penn Medicine's Office of Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity as well as Penn Medicine's educational enterprise, including the medical school, doctoral, master's, and certificate programs and residency and fellowship training programs.
- They will work to devise and execute strategic communications approaches to strengthen the image and awareness of educational programs in PSOM and Penn Medicine's inclusion, diversity, and equity efforts for both internal constituents (students, faculty, and staff) and external groups including the media and alumni. Internal communications responsibilities include time-sensitive written messages, scheduled reports, and creation of regular newsletter content, among others.
- External communications responsibilities include creating materials and generating media placements in regional and national media outlets on advances in medical education and Penn Medicine's thought leadership and activities to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in medicine.
- The Communications Manager will also contribute to institutional social media content and assist with website strategy and maintenance. Reporting to the Senior News Director, this individual will work as part of Penn Medicine's Communications Department, and act as a consultant to students and student groups on messaging, newsletters, and media training.
- Bachelor's Degree (Required), preferably in Communications, Journalism, English or a related area of study.
- 8+ years of experience in non-profit, educational, or scientific or healthcare writing, strategic communications, and related work.
- Media/public relations experience OR work as a member of the press (Required).
- Master's Degree in Communications, Journalism, English or a related area of study (Preferred).
- 5+ years of experience in non-profit, educational, or scientific or healthcare writing, strategic communications, and related work (Preferred).
- Experience in Education, Science or Medical settings (Preferred)
- Experience with or demonstrated interest in diversity and inclusion & related communications work (Preferred)
Skills & Abilities:
- Outstanding writing skills
- Organizational and self-managerial skills
- Effectively anticipates and balances the needs of multiple stakeholders
- Critical and strategic thinking skills
- Relates openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people
- Demonstrable ability to work well with and communicate with others
- Solid understanding of communication channels and their appropriate uses
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite for graphic design, video production and editing, digital photography, HTML, social media, Email marketing systems (Preferred)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE