Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Director Orthopedics and Spine Service Line
Job ID: 150484
Work Type: FT
Location: Plainsboro, NJ, United States
Date Posted: Aug 25, 2022
Work Schedule: FT
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Director, Orthopedics and Spine will work in close collaboration with the VP, Business and Service Line Development to develop and convey vision and strategy for growth of entire service line and will be expected to independently represent the service line across the system and with outside partners. Responsible for overseeing all aspects of clinical operations that combines clinical process knowledge with technical and analytical expertise to empower decision makers to grow, improve and streamline operational processes and clinical effectiveness. Likewise, the role collaborates with key stakeholders and interdisciplinary teams to create a learning environment that supports innovation, nimble learning and the ability to execute results. Oversees development and implementation of business, marketing and operating plans for service line to meet targeted medical, clinical and operating outcomes. Leads clinical implementation and growth of inpatient and outpatient orthopedics and spine. A key competency for the incumbent will include leading teams across service lines and building strategic partnerships that are specific to the service line while also fulfilling broader strategies for the health system.
- Develops and maintains plan for delivering orthopedic and neuroscience clinical operations across the health system.
- Share responsibilities for the overall operations of the department and demonstrates an ability to operate the business unit independently and exhibit expertise in managing daily operations. Participate in hospital operations committees.
- Oversees diverse array of administrative functions, including special projects, day- to- day operations, and implementation to key strategic operational initiatives. Develops standardized tools and approaches for service line oversight, structure and performance measurement aligned with other service lines and as directed by Senior Service Line Executive.
- Evaluates the performances of the various functions, departments, services and products in the service lines against approved objectives and plans. Works collaboratively with Operational leadership to take appropriate corrective actions as required.
- Actively participates and supports the Service Line Network to align system service line market strategies. Provide consistent operational and strategic direction in delivering on the promise of network affiliations with partners: establishing shared patient pathways, outcomes/data, educational and research opportunities, and marketing collaborations.
- Supports the achievements of the short and long term goals that will drive the success of the Service Lines in critical areas, such as planning for staffing, operational processes, designing systems, processes, protocols, and monitoring mechanisms to ensure ongoing and consistent integrated care. Assures approved programs, services are executed successfully.
- Works collaboratively with Business Director for financial performance, promoting cost-effective and quality healthcare services and managing the effective utilization of resources consistent with population health management strategies. Facilitates through collaboration with the executive team and Medical Directors of the service lines all capital equipment expenditure requests and recommends for approval.
- Works in close partnership with the Medical Leaders of the Service Line and with the administrator/physician leaders of the other various clinical departments (medicine, surgery, radiology etc.) to facilitate timely appropriate decisions regarding the service line.
- Assumes responsibility for clinical portfolio growth, growth of the orthopedic and neuroscience programs, marketing, development and the other administrative initiatives including developing and implementing measurement systems for service standards.
- Provide leadership and service as a point person for the health system of joint ventures, affiliations and partnerships that will support or advance the service lines.
- Optimize existing affiliations; enhance partnerships with system entities; develop partnerships with system alliance members; and develop new partnerships within our regional reach.
- Monitors the quality improvement and safety activities and implements continuous improvement activities meeting targeted medical, clinical and operating outcomes.
- Facilitates with the service line teams’ customer experience activities demonstrating effective use of customer relations management methodologies and a strong understanding of customer trends and preferences.
- Registered Nurse - NJ (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- +Five (5) to seven (7) years of increasingly responsible experience in the operational Functions of a health system.
3+ years’ service line or equivalent leadership experience.
Demonstrated track record of success in managing a complex clinical practice or hospital function.
- Master of Arts or Science
- MSN, MHA, MBA or other relevant degree
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE