Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Anatomic Pathology Coordinator - Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP)
Job ID: 140378
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Aug 26, 2022
Work Schedule: Day Shift
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is looking for an Anatomic Pathology Coordinator (Full-time/Day Shift) to join the team!
- The AP Coordinator follows and or establishes SOP for the collection and accessioning of pathology specimens for analysis, and evaluates and solves problems related to that process. The AP Coordinator has over sight of 6 Founders, Perelman Accession areas, the satellite lab in the peri-operative suite and any future new accessioning areas. The perioperative accession area includes collecting surgical samples on demand within a short time frame directly from Operating Rooms. Professional face to face reconciliation of surgical samples with the OR nursing staffs in a surgical suite during an operation. Supervises the operations of the assigned section under the direction of the manager. Ensures assigned tasks are distributed equally and patient care related functions are completed promptly and accurately. Provides guidance to the team members on how to handle issues and resolves problems. Ensures team members accurately review patient samples and requisitions to properly capture all requested tests and evaluate the suitability of the sample. Maintains accurate and orderly log records and/or worksheets where required according to established SOP’s. Accurately checks worksheets and lists in the lab Information system to ensure all pending and completed work is promptly captured.
- Ensures team members accurately review patient samples and requisitions to properly capture all requested tests and evaluate the suitability of the sample. Maintains accurate and orderly log records and/or worksheets where required according to established SOP’s. Accurately checks worksheets and lists in the lab Information system to ensure all pending and completed work is promptly captured.
- Professionally interacts with internal and external clients and resolves concerns and problems and expedites patient care related tasks. Helps the manager investigate issues related to missing, mislabeled specimens or incorrectly ordered or handled cases. Provides guidance to clients on how to properly submit requests and samples.
- Ensures team’s prompt registering and/or accessioning of cases and transfer of material to the lab. Accessions cases into Laboratory Information Systems/Penn Chart using appropriate specimen identifiers. Releases orders in Penn Chart EPIC as required. Must use independent judgement and higher level of decision making to ensure proper match of orders in Epic OpTime with surgical specimens being handed to in the surgical suite with limited access to a pathologist assistant or a AP Coordinator.
- Under the direction of the manager ensures activities related to accessioning service are assigned and completed promptly. Ensure accessioning workflow is organized and meets all CAP requirements and ensures the accession team is adhering to established protocols. Provides initial training to new staff and follow up mentoring to his/her team as necessary.
- Maintains inventory of equipment and supplies; notifies Manager of the need for replenishment before the supply runs-out. Ensures stocking of work stations and satellite labs with supplies. Ensures timely unpacking and stocking of consumables. applicable. Manages the storage of wet tissue.
- Uses effective interpersonal skills in all interactions, answers telephone inquiries to the best of knowledge, researches answers if required and returns answer to caller without transferring caller unnecessarily. Works well with peers and those in authority. Maintains a positive rapport with medical staff and hospital personnel, communicates in a highly professional manner at all times.
- Ensures teams timely retrieval of surgical specimens from various operating rooms and delivery specimens to the appropriate area, using appropriate PPE. Ensure proper equipment maintenance and manages tissue disposal. Assists or directs teams with the release of bodies to funeral homes.
- Must use independent judgement and higher level of decision making to ensure proper match of orders in Epic OpTime with surgical specimens being submitted.
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Associate Degree in Biological Sciences (Preferred)
- 5 years of experience as a Medical Clerk or Senior Secretary in Pathology
In lieu of certification, appropriate work and/or education experience to fulfill job requirements
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE