Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 151826
Work Type: FT
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Full-time Day Shift
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
General Summary Statement
Under the direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist, technicians are responsible for the preparation and distribution of all hospital-distributed medications, including for neonatal, pediatric, adult, and geriatric patient populations. Technicians are responsible for the preparation of IV admixtures using aseptic technique, refilling and maintaining Omnicell automated dispensing cabinets, compounding oral and topical medications, unit-dosing medications, and delivering medications to patient-care locations. Technicians also train new employees as necessary and collaborate with health care professionals inside and outside of the department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The pharmacy technician:
- Ensures all medications are labeled appropriately and checked by a pharmacist before delivering the medications to patient care areas or Omnicell machines
- Accurately fills Omnicell automated dispensing cabinets with medications that have the correct corresponding strengths, formulations, and quantities
- Updates the expiration date in Omnicell when loading or restocking a medication
- Draws up and labels oral syringes accurately
- Processes cart fill lists and prepares drugs for individual patients on the lists
- Reviews list for drugs that can be added to Omnicell and takes the initiative to add those medications to the Omnicell
- Repackages bulk medications, as needed, into unit dose form according to “Good Manufacturing Practice” guidelines and utilizing approved prepacking software
- Batches sufficient quantities of medications as needed while minimizing waste
- Accurately prepares extemporaneous compounds as needed with complete understanding of how to appropriately weigh, measure and mix the components for each compound to create homogenous, pharmaceutically elegant products
- Trains new personnel in all aspects of pharmacy operations and according to designated department procedures
- Fills medication orders accurately for checking by the pharmacist
- Removes expired medications from inpatient pharmacy and Omnicell machines and places in expired medication bin in the pharmacy storeroom
- Consistently prepares sterile admixtures (e.g. neonatal syringes, IV infusions) according to aseptic technique and USP 797/800 standards
- If applicable, accurately places storeroom orders by designated deadlines and puts these supplies away appropriately when they arrive to the pharmacy in a timely manner
- Maintains the back IV storeroom, including properly rotating supply by using the shortest dated product when replenishing the main IV room stock
- Effectively communicates to the next shift any functions that may need to be done for the efficient operation of the pharmacy and IV room (e.g. prepacking)
- Prepares medication for medication kits and trays correctly and in a timely manner
- Determines what type and size of pocket is best for loading a new medication in Omnicell and assigns medication to the pocket from the Omincell remote desktop or at the machine
- Loads controlled substances to correct pocket type
- Unloads a medication and rearranges medication to a different Omnicell location based on need
- Performs outdate function on the Omnicell machine per pharmacy procedures
- Accurately refills controlled substances to the machine and resolves discrepancies
- Changes Omnicell par levels to reflect usage and improve efficiency
- Recovers failed Omnicell drawers and is always willing to assist nurses when on the floors as technician license permits
- Reviews patient specific medications on a daily basis and returns medications to pharmacy when appropriate
- Restocks all areas of the pharmacy as necessary and checks inventory for outdates monthly
- Assists pharmacists in addressing medication messages and re-dispensing medications from the electronic health system as appropriate
- Completes appropriate safety checks, such as barcode scanning, when preparing medications per pharmacy procedures
- Maintains a clean and organized work area
- Completes other duties as assigned and as technician license permits
Education Training and Experience
Required: high school diploma or equivalent.
Preferred: completion of a technician course and/or prior hospital experience
Preferred: national pharmacy technician board certification
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE