Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Application Developer, CPUP
3400 Spruce Street
- This position is responsible for evaluating and summarizing end user requirements for new and existing applications. Responsible for application design/coding/testing/debugging, using the Software Development Life Cycle or similar structured methodology. Proactively evaluates systems and processes for efficiency, enhanced functionality, and accuracy. Has significant interactions with end users and staff. Must be able to effectively communicate complex technical processes in everyday language, as well as translate user needs into robust and often highly technical solutions.
- Performs software development and implementation in accordance with Department, Health System and University policies, procedures, and guidelines. Will work closely with other department IT staff collaboratively, under the guidance of the Lead Application Developer.
- Will assist in 24/7 operation of NewPath Laboratory Information System (LIMS) and other critical department specific applications, including development, maintenance and support. Monitors system performance and proactively identifies opportunities for improvement in end user interactions and data throughput.
- Translate end user requests from everyday language into integrated and sophisticated applications.
- Communicate highly technical information or processes back to users in easy to understand wording and presentations
- Supports Department and Penn Medicine infrastructure, applications (clinical, laboratory, and business/administrative), and other components and processes
- Participate in the planning, development of specifications, project plans, training materials, and other supporting documentation and processes
- Support development efforts towards successful project delivery
- Actively participate as a team member in a highly collaborative environment
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures and ensures all systems are compliant with internal and external regulations (including clinical and laboratory) and HIPAA requirements
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science required.
- 4+ years Software development experience or equivalent related technical discipline required.
- 3+ years Microsoft Visual Studio.Net and SQL Server required.
- Experience with database design and development in ASP.NET environment.
- Proven ability in the development, support, and troubleshooting of web or standalone applications.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of SQL Server database design and multiple query techniques (eg, stored procedures, triggers, user defined scalar- and table-valued functions, etc.); MS SQL Server 2014 or higher.
- Ability to manage concurrent projects while meeting project deadlines and day to day support responsibilities.
- Detail oriented with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills.
- Superior communication skills; ability to write clear, concise technical documentation, while also being able to communicate effectively with senior management, clinicians, etc.
- Demonstrated skills in providing accurate project coding timelines and estimates.
- Extensive experience in Object-Oriented Programming and Software Development Life Cycle Methodologies including Agile and SCRUM.
- Understanding of clinical and operational systems, their interaction, and their use, preferably with Penn Medicine systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the concepts, requirements, and implementation principles for building highly secure applications.
- Experience developing responsive web applications and sites.
- Experience handling sensitive data and images and software development for a secure computing environment.
- Experience in healthcare operations, terminology, data, and data structures.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.