Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Sr Application Developer, CPUP
3400 Spruce Street
- This position is responsible for supporting the efforts related to strategic software development, providing high level planning and development for the Department. Evaluates new technologies in response to user or department requests. Effectively communicates and collaborates with all levels of staff and faculty, translating complex technical information and processes into language appropriate for the audience. Works to ensure understanding of user needs by other internal and external IT development and support providers. Effectively uses structured methodology, such as the software development life cycle, from initial vision through design, development, implementation and support. Provides technical guidance to application developers, including external staffing resources. Identify and recommends long and short term improvements to systems. Support, participate, and often take a leading role in software development projects.
- Performs software development and implementation in accordance with Department, Health System and University policies, procedures, and guidelines. Will work closely with other department IT staff collaboratively, under the guidance of the Lead Application Developer.
- Will assist in 24/7 operation of NewPath Laboratory Information System (LIMS) and other critical department specific applications, including evaluation/review, development, maintenance and support. Works with internal and external technology users and providers to develop and consult on various projects, including those supporting University systems in use by the department. Proactively monitors system performance and proactively identifies opportunities for improvement in end user interactions and data throughput.
- Responsible for complex software technical design and development (including database, back end processing, and user interface). Supports Department and Penn Medicine infrastructure, applications (clinical, laboratory, and business/administrative), and other components and processes
- Responsible for planning and development of secure HL7 interfaces, lab equipment interfacing, and external secure data access for all Department systems.
- Participate in planning, development of specifications, project plans, training materials, and other supporting documentation and processes
- Research and plan future software infrastructure requirements
- Guide team development efforts towards successful project delivery
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures and ensures all systems are compliant with internal and external regulations (including clinical and laboratory) and HIPAA requirements
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- 6+ years Senior software development experience or equivalent related technical discipline.
- 5+ years Microsoft Visual Studio.Net and SQL Server.
- Experience with database design and leading complex, technical projects.
- Proven ability in the design and development of web or data integration applications.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of SQL Server database design and multiple query techniques (eg, stored procedures, triggers, user defined scalar- and table-valued functions, etc.); MS SQL Server 2014 or higher.
- Ability to manage concurrent projects while meeting project deadlines and day to day support requirements.
- Detail oriented with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills.
- Superior communication skills; ability to write clear, concise technical documentation, while also being able to communicate effectively with senior management, clinicians, etc.
- Demonstrated skills in providing accurate project coding timelines and estimates.
- Extensive experience in Object-Oriented Programming and Software Development Life Cycle Methodologies including Agile and SCRUM.
- Understanding of clinical and operational systems, their interaction, and their use, preferably with Penn Medicine systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the concepts, requirements, and implementation principles for building highly secure applications.
- Experience developing responsive web applications and sites.
- In depth knowledge of healthcare operations, terminology, data, and data structures.
- Experience with iOS and Android application development.
- HL& interface development in a multi-vendor environment.
- Demonstrated experience developing within a Content Management System.
- Use of software version tracking and control tools.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.