Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Surgical Support Associate - Pennsylvania Hospital
Job ID: 150862
Category: Clinical Support
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Sep 1, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Provides ancillary assistance to anesthesia and the Surgery Center team. Responsible for managing equipment and inventory in the operating room and maintaining the Surgery Center environmental conditions. Has responsibility for ordering and stocking of supplies used for anesthesia and OR and for the process of setting up, cleaning up and maintenance of equipment used in the provision of anesthesia and surgical care. Demonstrates competency in the appropriate preparation of the operating room suites for the delivery of anesthesia, surgical and nursing care. Participates in the delivery of patient care under the direct supervision of the RN and or physician.
- Maintain daily supply inventory and restock accordingly with established par levels including but not limited to the following areas:
- Stock hats and booties at entrance.
- Restock Supply carts
- Restock Scrub sink areas
- Restock cast cart and Anesthesia supply areas
- Refill soap dispensers throughout unit
- Stock supplies in the Patient Holding area, ORs and PACU.
- Monitor OR bathrooms for soap, paper towels and paper.
- Set up and break down equipment needed for OR’s and Anesthesia areas. Provides environmental services/room turnover as needed or requested.
- Checks for the depletion of sodalime in the CO2 absorbers after each use and replace sodalime absorbers when necessary.
- Sets up and replaces breathing circuit and performs breathing circuit leak test.
- Collects laryngoscope blades and LMAs. Decontaminates and sterilizes them using the Steris 1 System.
- Cleans, decontaminates, sterilizes and performs high-level disinfecting of all reusable items such as fiber optic intubation scopes. Differentiates between the need for high-level disinfecting and sterilizing of equipment.
- Follows principles of aseptic and sterile technique (traffic control).
- Disposes of contaminated materials in accordance with infection control policy.
- Transport trash-to-trash room as needed.
- Keeps OR equipment clean and ready for use. Can identify faulty equipment and follow protocol for reporting it. Put equipment away at end of day.
- Maintain post-op beds in hallway, making them when they come up and placing in proper position for transport.
- Keeps hallways and overall appearance of OR and PACU neat, clean and free of clutter.
- Runs errands as directed including pickup and delivery of specimens, cultures, CPD items, pharmacy and mail.
- Appropriately manages internal/external communication with staff, physicians, patients and families
- Demonstrates ability to interact effectively with patients, visitors and all level of hospital personnel.
- Shows courtesy, compassion, sensitivity and respect.
- Can communicate identified problems to the appropriate personnel.
- Will seek guidance in areas of uncertainty.
- Demonstrates ability to deliver proper and safe care to patients under direct supervision of Registered Nurse and/or Physician.
- Assists with transferring patients to and from OR bed as needed under the direction of the surgical staff.
- Escorts patients to and from the OR as needed.
- Utilizes Universal Precautions when interacting with patients.
- Assists with the application of monitoring devices.
- Provides patient support during the administration of anesthesia.
- Assists with the positioning and transfer of patients and equipment.
- Checks anesthesia machine prior to induction following FDA peruse guidelines.
- Demonstrates the ability to set-up and calibrate all anesthesia equipment and instrumentation.
- Demonstrates proper maintenance of equipment.
- Is able to troubleshoot equipment problems.
- Is able to verbalize an understanding of procedures and has appropriate equipment available and set up.
- Basic Life Support (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 1+ years Previous hospital experience preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE