Job ID: 151704
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Date Posted: Sep 2, 2022
Work Schedule: Per Diem Day Shift
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Under a physician's direction, the technologist performs adult/neonatal EEG studies. The technologist is responsible for: explaining the test procedure to the patient, applying all recording, monitoring and stimulating electrodes, recognizing and eliminating artifact, calibrating all equipment used and troubleshooting and correcting malfunctions, selecting appropriate amplifier settings and obtaining quality data. The technologist must provide technical descriptions of EEG studies.
• Knowledge of neuro-anatomy and physiology, basic electronics, and electrical safety, general EEG instrumentation pattern, recognition, and various medical and pharmacological conditions that influence the EEG.
• Verifies patient, physician's orders and gathers appropriate information form chart and/or interviews the patient/caregiver to provide accurate history.
• Check all equipment for proper function, inventory, operation, and cleanliness including corrections of malfunctions.
• Records EEG according to standards of the laboratory including the 10-20 system; provides initial interpretation of results and communicates urgent findings immediately with Epilepsy physicians.
• Reviews EEG files and saves appropriate sections for physician review which may include clipping and pruning for long term monitoring (LTM).
• Educates ICU nurses and other hospital personnel regarding basic equipment functioning and electrode removal techniques.
• Responsible for scheduling appointments for patient testing and maintaining communication across the inpatient units.
• Responsible for billing accuracy.
• Participates in teaching conferences and technical meetings. Maintains CEUs/Credentials.
• Responsible for adhering to State & Federal regulations and successful compliance of these regulatory agencies.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures • Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Must achieve registry in EEG within 2 years of hire, Required
Registered Electroencephalographic Technologist (R.EEG T.), Preferred
Education or Equivalent Experience:
H.S. Diploma/GED, Required
Associate's Degree, Preferred
Completion of an accredited EEG school program Or 3+ years of prior EEG work experience, Required
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.