Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Histotechnologist I - $10K SIGN-ON BONUS - Surgical Pathology Lab @ HUP
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 151356
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Sep 2, 2022
Work Schedule: Evening Shift Schedule
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
$10,000 Sign-on and Retention Bonus! The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is seeking a Histotechnologist I (Full-time / Evening Shift) to join the team!
- The Histotechnologist is employed in a clinical laboratory setting and is responsible for the performance of procedures according to established and approved protocols, which require the exercise of independent judgment and interpretation. The Histotechnologist performs procedures in routine histotechnology, special stains, as well as instrument maintenance and quality control standards. Gross tissue dissection is performed under the supervision of the Medical Director.
- Performs a variety of technical procedures that result in the creation of microscopic slide preparations. These technical procedures include: Specimen Collection/Triage, Gross Tissue Description and Dissection, Routine Tissue Processing, Decalcification, Tissue Embedding, Microtomy Techniques, Routine and Special Staining, Frozen Section Techniques, Special Specimen Preparation (EM, IF, IH, etc)
- Responsible for evaluating, preparing and maintaining these procedures in order to ensure timely and consistent work output in the laboratory as well as investigating and performing research, development and evaluation of new procedures. Operates and maintains instrumentation. Evaluates and recommends new instrumentation selection. Maintains the records and documentation required to manage the daily workflow.
- Recognizes and recommends areas for Quality Improvement monitors. Assists the supervisor in managing these records, preparing reports and modifying procedures as necessary. Demonstrates the interpersonal skills required to successfully perform as a team leader in a constantly changing environment. May assume a management role that includes orientation, training and evaluation of new employees.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding all phases of laboratory work and findings. Responsible for maintaining adequate staffing on all three shifts, weekends and holidays.
- Maintenance of the necessary documentation for procedures that are required to insure the quality and continuity of laboratory work such as records containing specimen information and records documenting instrumentation performance. Interpretation of and assistance in the development of policy and procedure manuals.
- Maintains inventory and supplies in laboratory. Utilization of basic computer applications for data entry, record keeping, and reporting. Ability to communicate effectively. Ability to adapt to a changing work environment by organizing and prioritizing time and resources in order to produce the most effective work performance.
- Ability to assess and develop work tasks and systems in order to optimize lab performance. Responsible for maintaining adequate staffing on all three shifts, weekends and holidays.
- HTL Certification by a minimum standards exam such as the Board of Certification HTL(ASCP) equivalent or eligible to take such an exam
Candidates holding current certification will be hired as a Histotechnologist II
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Histotechnology or other biological or chemical science or U.S. equivalent (substantiated by foreign credential evaluation statement) (Required)
- Qualified to perform high-complexity testing per the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act
Prior experience with Laboratory Information Systems/Penn Chart (Preferred)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE