Job ID: 151963
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: FT
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Date Posted: Sep 6, 2022
Work Schedule: 7:00am-3:30pm
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
General Summary Statement
Assist in the oversight of the operations of the section. Assist in scheduling and staffing. Act as a point person for trouble shooting and problem solving. Handle phone inquires from physicians and other staff members. Performs a variety of routine and complex tests in all laboratory sections. Demonstrates thorough knowledge of laboratory operations, testing procedures, department policies. Authorized by the laboratory director to perform testing (and result reporting*) in the clinical laboratory for which they have been proved competent. Works under minimal supervision for specimen processing, test performance, and result reporting. Note: *Supervisory or director review is not required to report clinical laboratory results.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Introduces self when interacting with patients, families, visitors or other employees
Demonstrates respect for patient, visitor and employee privacy and confidentiality.
Communicates clearly, directly and in a professional manner. Provides information/facts accurately, completely and in a timely manner. Appropriate telephone etiquette demonstrated
2. Accomplishes routine and stat testing within established guidelines and produces accurate results.
Makes correct judgments about the validity of test results based on quality control data and patient status.
3. Accommodates increased workload at peak times and maintains quality of results
4. Orients and instructs new employees or students in the performance of tests, use of equipment,
and laboratory section protocols as assigned.
Performs testing independently, demonstrating a thorough knowledge of department protocols
and theoretical aspects of testing procedures.
Maintains complete and accurate logs or documents including QC, as required, according to section
Assist in scheduling and staffing including call-outs and last minute scheduling changes. Works closely with the section supervisor in scheduling and staffing issues
Uses autoverification and associated technologies to release results where validated. Verifies non-autoverified results before release. Consults supervisor for assistance when necessary
Recognizes critical values and reportable results according to protocol. Reports critical results appropriately to authorized caregivers and documents this action in the laboratory information system.
Reports and documents QA related incidents to the section supervisor and the Laboratory’s Quality Manager.
Understands and performs information system functions necessary for operations
5. Accepts constructive feedback about performance or behaviors and shows evidence of change.
Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for actions.
6. Demonstrates creative thinking and problem solving and knows when to seek appropriate consultation.
7. Familiarity with Laboratory Exposure Control Plan which includes the Chemical Hygiene Plan, Hazard Communication Program and OSHA Blood Borne Pathogen standard and applies standard precautions to work practices and knows how to appropriately deal with chemical or biological spills.
Demonstrates safe practices in the performance of assigned job duties.
Reports any unsafe practices or conditions to appropriate responsible parties.
8. Offers to help other employees by providing assistance when needed.
Education Training and Experience
BS degree with MT (ASCP) certification preferred. 2+ years’ experience preferred. Certifications, education, and/or experience must meet CLIA requirements for moderate and complex testing.
MT (ASCP), MLT (ASCP), HEW or eligible
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.