Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Job ID: 145435
Work Type: FT
Location: Plainsboro, NJ, United States
Date Posted: Sep 9, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Perform a wide variety of phlebotomy techniques: pediatric and geriatric venipuncture, capillary collection. Collect, label, receive, process, and deliver samples to their respective departments for analysis. Perform tasks according to assigned schedule. Maintain good rapport with co-workers and hospital personnel.
- Perform verification of patient demographic information, confirm orders, verify test(s) ordered, obtain accurate billing information (if needed), enter information in appropriate systems
- During direct contact with patients create an atmosphere of trust and confidence while explaining procedures to patients.
- Collect blood specimens in a skillful, safe, accurate manner and according to established procedures, properly and accurately label, process and deliver samples (or prepare samples for delivery) to laboratory for analysis
- Read, understand and comply with UMCPP and Laboratory policies, protocols and procedures (i.e. Procedure Manuals, Safety Manual, Compliance and Employee Handbook)
- Ensure a high level of customer service
- Collect blood via venipuncture and capillary on adults and children in an effective and timely fashion (perform EKG if assigned to PAT)
- Receive and label specimens properly and accurately and distribute to designated departments
- Demonstrate proficiency with computer systems (HIS, LIS, etc.)
- Demonstrate proper knowledge of laboratory test submission and sample requirements, and demonstrate ability to effectively utilize available resources for assistance
- Actively participate in training of phlebotomy students and staff according to assigned schedule
- Understand inpatient, outpatient, outreach and specimen processing work flow
- Demonstrate proficiency with basic operation of pre-analytical lab automation system when assigned to Central Receiving/Specimen Processing
- Perform blood collections at Nursing Homes and other Outreach sites
- Other duties as assigned
- Driver's License (Required)
- Valid New Jersey driver's license required.
Certified in phlebotomy, EKG, Patient Care Technician -Preferred.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
Phlebotomy clinical internship, or sufficient previous experience (12-24 months).
- Other (Required)
- Incumbent is required to maintain competency and up-to-date techniques and resources through in-services and attending meetings.
Must be eligible for Professional certification with National Phlebotomy Association or equivalent.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE