Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Per Diem RN Oncology
Job ID: 150522
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Date Posted: Sep 12, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
General Summary Statement
Provides comprehensive, quality nursing care through application of the nursing process. Adheres to Nursing Policies and Procedures and Organizational Goals and Objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides age appropriate care for the population served. Gives consideration to growth & developmental phase of life, to age related factors such as thermal regulation, nutrition, medication administration, nutrition, safety and functional needs of the patient.
- Uses appropriate resources for patients with special needs such as language barriers, sensory problems, altered cognition, cultural and religious needs.
- Demonstrates competency in assessment skills (Physical, spiritual, psychological, social) of the Hematology and Oncology Services patient.
- Performs telephone triage for patient problems, utilizes decision trees to formulate plan of care. Consults with physician and CRNP as necessary to problem solve and direct urgent/emergent patient care.
- Performs follow up telephone alls to evaluate Hematology and Oncology Services patient outcomes.
- Demonstrates the ability to make correct clinical decisions and prioritize nursing actions.
- Performs procedures according to policy and procedure.
- Demonstrates competence in starting IV ports, performing therapeutic phlebotomy, intra-peritoneal chemotherapy, and intravenous chemotherapy administration.
- Demonstrates competence with peripheral IV insertion.
- Demonstrates competence with assessing and maintaining peripheral and central IV access.
- Follows policy and procedure when using Cathflo to de-clot port access.
- Adheres to the 5 rights of medication administration. Reports errors and/or adverse drug effects 100% of the time. Researches unfamiliar medications prior to administration.
- Follows P&P for medication administration.
- Adheres to aseptic technique as appropriate.
- Uses resources and references for reviewing policies and procedures, medications, and clinical information.
- Recognizes the need for and follows established protocols for requesting a physician’s order/intervention or obtaining medical attention for a patient in distress.
Education Training and Experience
Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) is required.
A minimum of 3 years recent nursing experience as an RN required. Must have strong IV therapy skills.
Experience preferred in the specialty of oncology nursing. Oncology and Chemotherapy Administration experience strongly preferred.
Excellent communication and patient education skills needed. Basic computer skills: keyboard, mouse use. Ability to complete data entry on clinical documentation screens. Ability to use email and internet. Ability to practice critical thinking and organizational skills. Ability to successfully complete on the job training for CCH computer programs. Ability to speak, read, write and understand English.
Current Pennsylvania RN License.
CPR certification required.
Chemotherapy certification strongly preferred; and required within first 3 months of employment.
ONC certification preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE