Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Senior Director, IS
Job ID: 128599
Category: Information Services/Technology/Service Desk/Telecom
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Sep 13, 2022
Work Schedule: 8:00AM-4:30PM, M-F | Hybrid
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Working under limited supervision, the Senior Director IS is responsible for directing and managing complex projects and initiatives which significantly impact business outcomes and requires a large degree of cross-functional participation and coordination. Defines strategic direction of the department through short and long-term goal setting, assessment of information technology needs, information systems integration, IT business operations, risk analyses, security, applications development, database management, user and system support and related operations. Directs and oversees the day to day operations of assigned team members including professional and technical staff, managers and directors.
- Provides leadership for the implementation, support and optimization of the UPHS IS supported Epic and non-Epic related applications.
- Leads and participates in defining the strategic direction of the department through short and long-term goal setting, assessment of information technology needs and information systems integration, IT business operations, risk analyses, security, applications development, database management, user and system support, and related operations
- Directly manages both director and manager level personnel that are focused on the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) and other specific application solutions.
- Leads and participates in developing departmental policies and procedures to enhance operational efficiencies, while working through IS managers, leveraging peer resources, engaging external expertise, and maintaining strong relationships with internal business units, and clients.
- Directs a team of professional and technical employees while working closely with other Information Technology management to ensure project success.
- Works through complicated and often political project delivery situations while demonstrating successful outcomes and quick resolutions to problems.
- Interacts closely with senior leadership and key project stakeholders with exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Meets with departmental and physician practice leadership in order to develop implementation plans, set project expectations and develop organizational relationships between Corporate IS and supporting departments.
- Serves as the primary contact point between Penn Medicine and Epic Corporation and other application vendors as it pertains to EMR related topics.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree (Required); Master's Degree (Preferred)
- 7+ years of Information Technology or Clinical experience with at least three being in a management role (Required).
- Enterprise IT experience (Preferred)
- Epic Vendor Certification (Preferred)
Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff
- Ability to implement process improvements
- Demonstrated success in coordinating the activities and deliverables of project teams
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Knowledge of healthcare operations and data structures and the use of information system applications
- in the practicing healthcare environment
- Ability to manage vendor relationships
- Healthcare domain experience and advanced knowledge/experience with clinical systems applications
- Detail oriented, strong analytical, organizational, and problem solving skills required.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE