Job ID: 152614
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Sep 13, 2022
Work Schedule: Per Departmental Needs
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Responsible for working as the administrative and business partner of the Division Chief of Gastroenterology(GI). Provides administrative leadership for faculty practice clinical and research operations. Responsible for oversight and general management for the Division across all missions. This division is comprised of over 75 faculty, 18 fellows, 22 APPs, and 175 clinical/research/admin staff, clinical operating expenditures of $40 million, and $15 million in grant revenue. The division has 52k patient visits, and performs 45k procedures annually, over 4 anchor locations. In addition, we offer evaluation and management services at 7 satellite locations, located throughout Pa, NJ and DE. Oversees and directs overall divisional business planning and financial management, ensuring the accomplishment of divisional goals and objectives.
Faculty Practice Administration
1. Advise Division Chief of relevant issues and governance, including operational problems/policies and faculty issues. Provide support to Chief, including offering resolutions and recommend changes, drafting responses to requests for information, and representing the Chief in discussions with faculty or departmental meetings. Includes developing faculty recruitment packages and supporting documentation.
2. Work alongside Division Chief, clinical leaders, to chart course of programs, program improvement, and program effectiveness; provide strong project management for divisional initiatives. Align priorities, build support, and garner needed resources to execute and achieve priorities.
3. Oversees administrative aspects of faculty recruitment including requests to recruit, aligning financial support, and timely execution of offers to candidates. Assures faculty are on-boarded effectively within their subspecialty program with requisite licensures and credentialing obtained. Works closely with the Manager of Faculty Affairs to align and maintain faculty academic plans.
4. Drive faculty engagement by working with faculty and meeting with senior faculty leaders on an as needed basis to develop programs, explain incentives, effort, productivity, salary allocation, increase requests, compliance issues, etc.
5. Oversee the provision of data to individual faculty and managers, including volume statistics, billing statistics, incentives, productivity measures, research funding, research proposals submitted, and publications.
6. Administer the faculty compensation and incentive plans and programs.
Budget/Fiscal/ Revenue Cycle Management
1. Collaborate with the Chief to plan, strategize and develop policies and procedures to maximize the organizational and financial position of the Division.
2. Direct and manage Divisional finances (clinical and research) and revenue cycle operations: Oversee creation and implementation of clinical and research budgets, control and monitoring of budgets; responsible to explain budget variances.
3. Review, analyze, summarize and interpret financial data. Oversee preparation of analyses and reports that detail the Division’s financial position. Develop annual reports, financial spreadsheets and other required reports.
4. Oversee management of malpractice insurance accuracy.
5. Submit quarterly clinical incentives for qualifying clinician educator faculty.
1. Interpret Departmental policies, objectives and procedures to guide administrative and managerial staff in the division.
2. Interact with administrative Directors in other departments, Penn Transplant Institute and Perioperative Services to collaborate on daily operations as needed and new initiatives to ensure optimization of provider experience and workflow.
3. Oversee initiatives pertaining to physician and clinic schedule utilization and management.
4. Provide guidance and assistance to on patient flow, utilization, front desk policies and procedures, and space design for clinical practices.
5. Resolve problems related to utilization of facilities, equipment and supplies, including space allocation; recommend clinic facility improvements including construction, renovation, and purchase of equipment.
6. Monitor practice activities to ensure cost-effectiveness of operations and high-quality health care for patients.
7. Assist with developing and marketing of new products and services.
8. Interact with perioperative leadership to resolve
1. Oversee personnel administration including staffing, compensation, and compliance with CPUP, Hospital, University, School, and Departmental policies. Interprets human resources institutional and departmental policies for faculty and staff; provides guidance to managers with staffing issues, including disciplinary action.
2. Responsible for general human resources oversight; provide guidance and direction to managers on posting, recruiting, advertising, hiring, job offers, salary scales, selection, and placement.
3. Collaborate with DOM Operations team with interviewing, selection, employment, development, discipline, evaluation, and management of administrative managers working with Medical Directors and staff leads.
1. Maintains professional affiliations and enhances professional development to keep pace with health care trends, including the MGMA and APA.
2. Maintains strictest confidentiality.
3. Other duties as assigned.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
Bachelors Degree Required
Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Health, Health Care Administration, Management, or equivalent preferred
Five to seven years of progressive experience in healthcare administration, including two years’ experience in a clinical environment and two years staff management experience Required
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.