Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Surgical Services Associate
Job ID: 151814
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Sep 13, 2022
Work Schedule: 8hr Days
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- This position is responsible the management of a clinical practice for a surgeon(s) in a busy academic department. Duties are to coordinate patient related activity for both outpatient visits and surgical procedures. This includes: triaging telephone calls, taking messages, and providing information to internal and external customers. Schedules surgeries, outpatient diagnostic test, outpatient appointments and admissions as requested. Obtain procedural authorizations. Prepare and process surgical billing. Prepare and process correspondence.
- Greets, screens, schedules and directs patients in a prompt, positive, pleasant, and helpful manner at all times even in the most adverse circumstances.
- Handles patient concerns in helpful, objective manner, involving manager as appropriate.
- Answers patient questions, inquiries, and concerns regarding appointment and physician’s information.
- Ensures patient and family confidentiality and respect.
- Monitors wait time and keep patients and family informed of what we are doing to help, especially for complicated problems.
- Takes ownership of patient and family’s needs and follows through to make sure needs are addressed.
- Knows office policy and procedures and of when and whom to notify (i.e. Supervisor/management) when an issue extends beyond their expertise or skill level.
- Identify the competencies required for each patient population that the employee works with (neonate, child, adolescent, young adult, middle adult and older adult)
- Communicates with sensitivity to adolescents, recognizing the individual’s development and maturity level.
- Communicates with sensitivity to those in pain coming to the Center, and memory and information processing difficulties of the elderly.
- Sensitive to limitations of mobility (wheelchair, walker, gait). Offers appropriate assistance for ambulation
- Sensitive to dignity of older patient, while obtaining necessary information
- Maintains comprehensive knowledge of reimbursement coverage from third party payers. Seeks guidance from Manager for unusual questions or circumstances.
- Coordinates all procedures that need to occur prior to scheduling surgery, including but not limited to the scheduling of ancillary tests, pre-operative testing, obtaining x-rays, scans, MRIs, lab results, EKGs for completion of pre-op packages.
- Coordinates and schedules cases with medical equipment representatives as required in the OR.
- Responsible for the timely submission of pre-op cases, accuracy of information and correct forms completed and signed.
- Maintains an accurate and clear calendar and patient file cases of scheduled surgeries and office procedures, so physician, nurses, residents, and staff can review cases.
- Provides back up to front desk staff and financial counselor in order to maintain patient flow.
- Monitors surgical schedules to maintain high OR utilization. Informs Manager and physicians of available OR time.
- Perform and document all necessary pre-certification work with third parties for inpatient, outpatient, and office surgeries. Maintains a working knowledge of CPT and ICD-10 coding in order to correctly perform pre-certification and all “coordination of benefits” functions with patients, employer benefits offices and other responsible parties.
- Provides cross-coverage for answering of (incoming) patient telephone lines.
- Act as a point of contact for all new patients for the Department
- Serve as a specialty expert of nuances of care coordination so that patients are seen by the appropriate physician
- Coordinate new patient appointments as needed with other department needed for complete clinical evaluation
- Coordinates the scheduling of diagnostic tests, other evaluations and review of necessary information prior to new patient appointment.
- Responds to patient inquiries or problems. Answers questions regarding practice, procedures, tests, directions, etc
- Coordinate the retrieval and flow of outside medical records and imaging to ensure receipt and appropriate review by provider and are scanned prior to the visit
- Manages physician and APP outpatient schedules
- Ensures optimal patient experience through thorough communication and coordination
- Communicates issues impacting flow with managers as necessary. Keeps manager aware of potential issues or problems as they arise
- Maintains excellent understanding of managed care plans and protocols for referrals, copayment and pre-certification
- Ensures patients have been properly registered
- Readily adopts and is engaged in practice operation changes.
- Is proficient in the use of all systems necessary for practice operations
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 2+ years Related clinical office experience required.
Prior customer service or insurance verification experience in a healthcare setting preferred
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE