Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Clinical Pharmacy Manager Inpatient - Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Job ID: 153774
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Sep 14, 2022
Work Schedule: Days
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Clinical Pharmacy Manager will provide leadership for all staff on their service in support of organizational, departmental, and service line missions. The individual in this position will be accountable for developing and recommending short term plans and goals related to their area of responsibility, incorporating best practices, meeting regulatory requirements human resource needs, workforce planning and development of staffing models, orientation, onboarding, professional development, employee engagement and satisfaction, budget planning, oversight of relevant technology and partnership between related clinical services and the Department of Pharmacy. Additionally, the Clinical Pharmacy Manager will work closely with customer leadership in their respective division to maintain oversight of the implementation of performance measures and other operational goals as they relate to patient care services, individual and team performance.
- This individual will demonstrate expertise in executing patient care services programs and managing pharmacy operations in their respective area(s). Effective clinical provider, counselor, and educator of patients and families. Ability to mentor, manage, and lead staff in their respective area(s) to provide effective and compliant care and services. Effective communicator with the ability to transfer knowledge (orally and in writing), train staff, and remediate performance issues. Ability to work with staff at all levels. Effective at leading change, expertise in building and leading teams.
- Exemplifies in his / her action principles of collegiality and collaboration at all times
- Effectively manages and efficiently uses all resources
- Balances priorities; meets deadlines; responsive to requests; and keeps commitments
- Recommends short term goals and some long-term goals in alignment with department strategic plans
- Creates and maintains a culture of safety and engagement
- Maintains competency as a clinical pharmacist in areas of responsibility
- Performs staff pharmacist duties when necessary
- Sustains professional competence and promotes self-development
- Patient Care and Satisfaction:
- Communicates with patients and family members in a friendly, caring and informative manner.
- Preserves confidentiality, privacy and dignity of patients and visitors, according to policy.
- Acts as a consultant to the patient family and multidisciplinary staff.
- Responds with empathy to patient, families and other staff members.
- Coordinates patient care and facilitates communication between various health team services and members and the patient.
- Performs interventions specific to assigned patient population.
- Employees Satisfaction:
- Regularly meets with staff to improve communication and to build productive relationships.
- Continuously communicates to staff the importance of patient satisfaction, quality of care, and sound financial performance; and champions our successes and priorities for improving performance in meeting and exceeding patient and customer expectations.
- Analyze employee satisfaction data and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Collaborate with staff to develop action plans.
- Implement and follow through with action plans.
- Manage and eliminate process workarounds.
- Focus energy on collaboration and not blame
- Establish/update processes and work practices for the unit/department:
- Manage and eliminate process workarounds by appropriately and consistently sharing with organizational partners the issues, which require their attention.
- Analyze data and information on a quarterly basis and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Share data with staff and mutually identify opportunities for improvement within the department’s span of influence.
- Collaborate with the staff to develop action plans for improvement.
- Implement and follow through with action plan.
- Manage team and individual performance in alignment with the UPHS vision of service excellence:
- Drive patient and client loyalty by ensuring staff under your supervision understand the UPHS commitment to service, their own work processes, and have the necessary skills to meet service expectations.
- Focus energies on collaborating in problem resolution rather than finding blame.
- Manage patient/client complaints and provide timely follow up to ensure satisfaction.
- Ensure that staff understand and demonstrate service recovery commitment.
- Internal Partnerships:
- Works with other clinical and entity leadership in developing programs, services and initiatives to anticipate future customer needs, build customer loyalty and generate profitable growth.
- Sets standards and drives operational integration of programs by ensuring alignment of communication to various leadership.
- Pharmacist (Required)
- PA Pharmacy License required at time of hire
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
Bachelors of science OR PharmD
- 3-5 years of hospital pharmacy experience or completion of a PGY1 / PGY2 Health-system pharmacy administration and leadership residency
- Prior leadership experience as a lead or senior pharmacist preferred
PGY1/ PGY2 residency in area of responsibility preferred
- Any board certification related to area of responsibility preferred
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE