Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Research and Development Coordinator - Molecular Pathology @ HUP
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 153424
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Sep 15, 2022
Work Schedule: Day Shift Hours
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is looking for a Research and Development Coordinator to the Molecular Pathology team!
The Research and Development (R&D) Coordinator is responsible for the everyday coordination of development activities within the Division of Precision and Computational Diagnostics (PCD) under the direction of the Assistant Director for Assay Development. The R&D Coordinator also serves as point of contact for technical questions that arise from the development team in the performance of their duties. As a key member of the division, the R&D Coordinator will work with the Assistant Director for Assay Development and the Genomic Development Specialists to develop and deploy high-quality assays for the division. Additional stakeholders include divisional leadership, faculty, and trainees. The successful candidate will possess strong critical thinking and organizational skills, exercise sound judgement, and communicate clearly and effectively.
- Clinical Assay Development: In coordination with Assistant Director for Assay Development, participates in test development activities to develop and deploy clinical assays. Coordinates day-to-day activities of the development team to ensure adequate deployment of resources. Serves as first point of contact and resource for technical questions. Informs decisions on project timeline construction, resource allocation, task prioritization, and experiment design. Coordinates resources (IS support, vendor involvement, wet lab participation) in order to ensure adherence to established timelines. Keeps abreast of technical developments and identifies opportunities for integration of new technology. Manages assigned projects from inception to completion in an organized manner. Performs experiments and operates equipment as needed to bring about desired results in development of clinical assays. Evaluates instruments, reagents, and supplies in support of test development activities. Communicates pertinent information effectively and in a timely manner. Performs duties in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Clinical Operations: Supports clinical assay maintenance and serves as technical consultant as needed to resolve test system performance issues. Works with operational leadership to develop best-practice training strategies. Trains personnel as assigned. Identifies and communicates potential performance concerns both formally and informally. Develops (or contributes to the development of standard operating procedures as assigned. Applies knowledge and skills to perform accurately, all routine and complex laboratory procedures for which competency has been established and authorization to perform testing has been granted.
- Regulatory Compliance: Ensures test development activities are performed in accordance within CAP/CLIA requirements and FDA guidelines as applicable. Contributes towards the preparation for regulatory inspections including but not limited to CAP, DAAC, other PA State regulators. Maintains files and documentation in a complete, orderly, and logical manner. Supports compliance with all proficiency testing requirements.
- Performance Improvement: Participates in performance improvement activities. Identifies and communicates quality concerns to appropriate parties.
- Education: Participates in education of trainees throughout the division. Serves as liaison with the Medical Laboratory Science School.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Master's Degree Master’s degree in biology, molecular biology, or related field And 4+ years Development of molecular assays
- Ph.D. Doctoral degree in biology, molecular biology, or related field And 2+ years Development of molecular assays (Preferred)
- Knowledge of, and ability to manage, the general hazards encountered when working with potentially infectious materials, hazardous chemicals, radioisotopes and laboratory equipment.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE