Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
EHS Specialist I
Job ID: 153789
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Sep 16, 2022
Work Schedule: 8:00AM-4:30PM, M-F | Onsite
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Primary responsibility for this position will include respiratory fit testing (approximately 90%) to assure compliance with 29CFR 1910.134. This work activity will require weekend and off-shift time commitments. This position may also be assigned a variety of other safety related duties that will assist the Emergency Management and Safety Department (EMSD) in maintaining a safe environment for patients, visitors and staff. These additional responsibilities may include recognition, evaluation, monitoring and control of facility, operational and environmental safety factors occurring in a major health system with multiple buildings and functions for patient care, medical education and research.
- The position will plan, develop, organize, implement, evaluate and direct assigned portions of the University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS) safety programs and related activities. These related activities can include fire and life safety; hazardous materials and chemical safety; emergency preparedness; ergonomics and injury prevention; construction safety and ILSM, and training staff to respond appropriately to ensure a safe environment. The position will assist overseeing accident & injury prevention programs, hazard surveillance surveys at hospital and off-site locations, emergency preparedness activities, and construction safety and ILSM (Interim Life Safety Measures).
- The EHS Specialist I will also be responsible for support and enforcement of regulatory requirements for healthcare from the Joint Commission, the PA Department of Health, OSHA and local codes and ordinances.
- The EHS Specialist I will also provide education and hands-on training to staff. The position will examine and reinforce the use of work practice controls as well as personal protective equipment to minimize the risk of injury.
- Fit Testing:
- Performs fit testing and training for UPHS employees in hospitals as assigned by the Corporate Manager of Environmental Hygiene. Fit testing will be completed using the TSI PortaCount and/or other equipment/methods as assigned.
- Facilitate and coordinate documentation of fit testing and training records in cooperation with Employee Health and Human Resources.
- Maintaining and coordinating scheduling of employee fit testing.
- Coordinate off-shift and weekend fit testing as necessary based on the needs of each facility.
- Work Safety:
- Examine and reinforce use of work practice controls as well as personal protective equipment to minimize risk of injury.
- Coordination of planning, design, implementation, on going evaluation and monitoring of respiratory protection and other safety program initiatives that provide for a safe environment of care for our patients, visitors, staff, and the surrounding community.
- Reviews / investigates / tracks / trends accident and incident reports for patterns, cause and effect and makes appropriate recommendation for improvement and implementation of preventative or corrective actions.
- Performs investigations, and diagnostics of reported departmental operational, life safety and fire code compliance and general “safety related” issues for the assigned operating sites / entity. Develops recommended interventions where appropriate and monitors progress of interventions to correct such problems.
- Participates and contributes to UPHS safety management program initiatives for employee education, infection control and awareness training, and other resources developed for communication of the safety activities or knowledge to our staff, patients and visitors.
- Develops a familiarity and understanding of the functions, operations, priorities, and safety concerns of departments and operational areas of the practices and the variety of sites and settings operated.
- Responsible for initiating safety standards and policy / procedure development as appropriate to operations in areas of responsibility.
- Provide education and hands-on training to staff in safe lifting practices and computer ergonomics.
- Compliance and Risk Management:
- Performs and documents regular assessments of regulatory and code compliance, hazardous operations and the general condition / operation of the facility for development of safety concerns, issues or unsafe practices
- Assists departments with assessing risks associated with safety issues regarding operations, facilities, equipment and job analysis.
- Researches and performs analysis of data from a variety of sources including human resources, risk management, employee health, quality assurance and personal investigation to coordinate development of focused prevention programs to reduce job related injuries, utilizing the full array of modern methods and technology available.
- Performs staff support of the Entity Safety Committee (EOC), ad hoc and standing sub-committees and other groups as assigned by the Assoc. Director or Director
- Responds to fire, safety and hazardous incident emergencies at any UPHS operating sites as needed, assuming the role assigned.
- Establish contacts and working relations with all areas and departments of the assigned entity and other UPHS entities as needed.
- Work with consultants as necessary / assigned and implement programs or revisions as indicated / required providing for follow through.
- Consults other UPHS Safety Management staff for guidance and expertise as needed and appropriate while maintaining “lead role” for assigned entity.
- Monitoring/Data Collection:
- Monitors and collects/produces data regarding levels of compliance with the variety of regulatory and standard setting bodies applying to the healthcare setting.
- Monitors practice activities and operations for opportunities to improve safety practices and regulatory compliance.
- Monitors level of employee satisfaction and dissatisfaction, receives feedback and suggestions for improving workplace satisfaction, operations and effectiveness.
- Identifies applicable regulations and standards impacting the areas of responsibility and assists in performing development of plans to meet guidelines, etc.
- Monitors activity at institutional and/or departmental level related to level of compliance with institution-wide programs including the safety program.
- Problem Solving:
- Resolves problems related to work assignments, and department functions or services in a timely and effective manner.
- Recognizes problems as they occur and/or monitors records and trends to identify recurrent problems.
- Identifies and uses resources available to provide assistance in resolving problems and/or issues.
- Determines effective solution or best course of action by reviewing the alternatives and considering effect of actions/solution upon the healthcare setting, department or section involved.
- Resolves problems by initiating and/or recommending selected course of action or solution.
- Communicates course of action in a positive manner to all involved.
- Information Exchange:
- Communicates work methods and/or other information to staff, clients, associates and supervisors accurately, clearly, and concisely.
- Explains work procedures and methods to others.
- Listens carefully to others in order to respond appropriately, answer questions or obtains needed information.
- Maintains confidentiality in communications, when appropriate.
- Maintains effective coordination of ongoing or specific activities to accomplish work activities and program goals.
- Develops and maintains contacts with other departments to coordinate inter-related activities and program goals
- Maintains efficient operations by making timely requests to others and responding quickly to requests.
- Keeps others informed of progress on work activities to insure efficient coordination of activities.
- Work Organization:
- Organizes work activities to insure their proper and timely completion.
- Schedules work time effectively by assigning priorities to daily, weekly, and monthly work activities.
- Recognizes that activities may require complex schedule coordination because of inter-related nature of activities.
- Avoids crisis through systematic planning and follow through.
- Maintains effective relationships within the healthcare setting and University system, and with a variety of outside agencies, contractors and consultants.
- REPORTS AND RECORDS:
- Creates, compiles, assists in maintaining and filing records, logs and records of safety related subjects. Writes concise, accurate reports and correspondence. Compiles statistical data as necessary.
- Works with all levels of employees as well as visitors, patients and outside professionals, such as fire department, city, state, and federal inspectors as well as engineers, contractors, and architects.
- Bachelor's Degree (Required); preferably in a Safety (public or environmental), fire prevention, emergency management, environmental science, business, health administration or health-related discipline.
- Prefer one year of experience through internship program.
Skills & Abilities:
- Understanding of health care operations
- Understanding of regulatory guidelines
- Knowledge of Fire and Safety standards
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Demonstrated written communication skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE