Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
PRN Unit Clerk- Med Surg (7 Schiedt)- Pennsylvania Hospital
Job ID: 153786
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Sep 20, 2022
Work Schedule: Varied
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Unit Coordinator is an integral member of the patient care team who delivers quality care through collaboration and communication with team members. They work under the direct supervision of the nurse manager and the registered nurse to support the clerical, secretarial and operational functions associated with the patient care unit. Some of the major responsibilities of the role includes demonstrating a genuine care for the patient (e.g., paying a close attention to the basics), communicating with patient care team members, patients, and visitors/families, collecting and reporting of patient data, managing health information record processing, hospitality and receptionist activities, follow through on activities related with a positive Penn Patient Experience, drive results with intention, partners with unwavering support, commit to every single moment, and serve with thought and compassion while supporting Penn Medicine's Service Standards.
- Welcomes and greets patients and visitors to the unit. Assists visitors find patient rooms, staff members and other resources; Demonstrates professional communication skills when speaking with patients, visitors, nursing staff, physicians, volunteers and personnel from other departments; Answers the phone promptly using proper telephone etiquette. Identifies self and unit. Refers phone calls to appropriate person and is reliable with messages; Facilitates transport of patients at discharge; Facilitates the patient belongings process as needed, including that the handoff of belongings occurs at admission, transfer and discharge; Facilitates calls to physician on behalf of nurses, avoiding duplication.
- Answers call bells in a timely manner and communicates needs to responsible staff, or handles themselves if a simple request. Follow-up to ensure that call bells have been addressed; Sets up follow-up appointments for high-risk patients after discharge; Checks e-mails regularly and posts items at the request of nursing leadership; Communicates patient and unit information to the RN and interdisciplinary care team in a timely manner.
- Seeks help and/or clarification from the RN/Nurse Manager or Clinical Director when needed; Informs the RN when experiencing difficulty completing an assignment; Receives report and clarifies information as needed; Accepts assignments and performs as a team member; Reinforces information to patients and family when appropriate.
- Places correct labels on all paper chart forms (front and back). Ensures all chart forms are properly labeled; Adds blank forms to charts as needed. Keeps charts neat and pages secure (reinforced); Maintains charts in accordance with relevant policy & procedure for sequence. Neatly files any remaining paper chart forms into their appropriate location; Thins charts as needed per policy & procedure. Prepares charts for admission, transfer and discharge.
- Prints Discharge documents upon request and puts chart copy in chart; prepares education packets at request of nurses to use in their patient teaching; Facilitates record requests from or to entity or other facilities as needed; Assists with metrics and reporting requirements that may arise, for example recording quality improvement information onto logs or printing workflow reports.
- Electronic Order Management and Order Processing; Provides accurate and timely processing of Orders; Monitors frequently for new alerts and other new items on electronic work; Facilitates the patient schedule. Coordinates when there are multiple tests ordered and keeps track of patient location; Monitors specialty bed ordering and discontinuation when patient no longer needs; Manages pending admissions, discharges and transfers, conferring with RN or charge nurses on bed assignment; Prints or copies records for patient transfer to another institution when case management is not available.
- Uses the Soarian Financial Application to enter Admissions, Transfers, Discharges, Service Updates, status updates (outpatient to observation status for example), Patient Location management, and other ADT functions as needed and in a timely manner; Maintains census logs; Ensures the Consent for Hospital Care is obtained and entered properly (scanned) into the patient chart; Ensures all patients are signed up in MyPennMedicine; Management of Unit Environment
- Orders, picks up, and restocks supplies and equipment from Store Room, Central Supply or outside vendor as requested. Returns equipment to appropriate department as needed; Plans, organizes and executes routine maintenance and storage of office supplies, including printers; Maintains supply of needed forms, patient handbook, downtime forms; Assists others in keeping the nurse/work station organized and maintaining common spaces.
- Contacts the Help Desk on behalf of staff and initiates tickets; Maintains equipment in working order. Uses equipment appropriately, follows Department policies for equipment and supply use, cleaning and maintenance; Serves as a preceptor and mentor for new staff; Attends staff meetings on a regular basis; Attends assigned committee meetings and contributes to the committees; Supports all appropriate programs: Magnet®, iCare values, Joint Commission Disease Specific Certification, and Nursing Councils. Performs job duties in accordance with these standards; Performs assigned duties to maintain unit in a state of survey readiness and maintain quality initiatives. For example, maintain patient privacy and confidentiality adhering to HIPPA, nurse station area cleanliness, etc.; Adheres to unit programs to support patient care such as maintaining a quiet environment, customer service, etc.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- H.S. Diploma/GED required and 0-1 years of training and/or experience at an acute care facility.
- Other (Required)
- Student Nurse with hospital-based clinical experience.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE