Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Patient Services Associate PMAH
Job ID: 154439
Work Type: FT
Location: King of Prussia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Sep 21, 2022
Work Schedule: Variable
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Patient Services Associate (PSA) assists the department in maintaining a patient/customer focus, supports the delivery of high quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer-centered care, and assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction and financial/operational targets.
- The PSA is responsible managing and handling patient calls and inquiries, coordinating patient appointments, updating patient insurance/billing information, and entering and processing referrals.
- Patient Service:
- Strives to understand and anticipate patient needs, manages service recovery efforts when needed, enlisting management assistance as appropriate, identifies opportunities to improve the patient experience.
- As per practice/department protocols and/or measurements: answer phones in a timely manner, manage/handle patient requests and route appropriately, retrieve voicemails in a timely manner, take accurate and thorough messages and route appropriately through EMR.
- As required, schedules patient appointments by determining reason for visit, following established schedules and protocols, using appropriate billing area/appointment location, communicating changes and confirming appointments, and, as needed, offering alternative and canceling/rescheduling appointments.
- Communicates with patients regarding patient flow and delays – keeps manager aware of potential issues as they arise.
- Issues referrals and obtains pre-authorizations for patients as required and as per protocol.
- Navigates and resolves work queues in EMR system.
- As required, maintains up to date knowledge of insurance requirements pertinent to patient service and billing procedures: including basic knowledge of all managed care plans and which insurers require a copayment or referral.
- Validates patient demographic/insurance information and/or registers new patients into EMR using established protocols.
- Resolves work queues and/or issues from front-end reports; proactively prioritizes recovery of missing charges.
- Orders supplies for the office and generates front-end process reports as requested.
- Other / Regulatory:
- Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulatory standards (ex TJC, DOH, FDA, HIPAA, HCFA, DPW, LCGME, SCGME, etc)
- Flexible and readily adopts new processes and engages in practice operation changes.
- Additional Department Responsibilities (if appropriate):
- Coordinates clinical and administrative aspects of referral entry and scheduling support.
- Receives information via phone, fax, work queues, ECIN, and email to process and routes appropriately.
- Perform within the expected outcome of the Automated Call Distribution (ACD) environment.
- Solves telephone issues and timely reports problems related to volume to manager.
- Follow established downtime procedures for registration.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Associate's Degree preferred.
- H.S. Diploma/GED and 2+ years Medical office experience, or 4 years of customer service experience. Advanced degree (Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's) may be considered in lieu of experience.
Must successfully complete/pass EPIC schedgistration training/tests.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE