Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Associate Chief Nursing Officer- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Job ID: 153030
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Sep 21, 2022
Work Schedule: 24/7 Accountability
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania has an outstanding opportunity to join their Nursing Executive Team as an Associate Chief Nursing Officer. This individual will be instrumental in developing innovative strategies that influence the Nursing Workforce. Working for the # 1 Hospital in Pennsylvania, the ACNO will lead and contribute to initiatives that advance organizational priorities at the entity and system level. The ACNO has a high level of visibility and is a natural extension of the HUP CNE. He/she is able to build and maintain relationships that support the organization by building a cohesive, focused and dedicated inter-professional leadership and clinical team to accomplish the strategic vision and imperatives for UPHS, HUP, and the HUP Department of Nursing.
In addition, the ACNO will have leadership responsibilities focus on advancing nursing practice through excellence in clinical care, education and research, program development, growth of patient care services, continuous quality improvement, fiscal oversight and management of capital and human resources, supervision and coaching of personnel. The scope and influence of the ACNO extends to all provisions of nursing care. The ACNO works jointly with administrators and clinicians within the hospital to build a cohesive, focused and dedicated inter-professional leadership and clinical team to accomplish the strategic vision and imperatives for the HUP Department of Nursing. The ACNO also engages patients, families and community stakeholders in redesigning care and services to improve patient outcomes and patient/family experiences.
The ACNO shall remain current with trends and changes in nursing professional/practice in health environment. They are required to maintain close alliance with the Penn School of Nursing. The scope and influence of the ACNO extends to all provisions of nursing care that are aligned to standards and mandates from accreditation agencies, professional organizations and designations of excellence (American Nurses Credentialing Center Magnet Recognition Program).
- Knowledge of the Health Care Environment:
- Ensures compliance with:
- State Nurse Practice Act, State Board of Nursing regulations, State and Federal regulatory agency standards, federal labor standards and policies of the organization.
- All entity and system level policies and procedures
- Represents nursing at the organization and department meetings and communicates pertinent information about the Nursing Department’s performance and programs.
- Assures that nursing and inter-professional practice and administrative policies and procedures, standards of care and patient care delivery models are aligned with the latest research, evidence and accepted best practices.
- Use evidence-based metric to align patient outcomes with organization’s goals and objectives.
- Encourages and invests resources to support nursing and inter-professional research studies to generate new knowledge and disseminate research finding to internal and external audiences.
- Conducts regular safety surveillance rounds with team members to assess workplace safety for patients, families and staff.
- Develops and continually improves systems and procedures that result in prompt reporting of potential/actual errors and unsafe practices within a just culture (non-punitive).
- Establishes performance improvement and action plans to address underperforming nursing sensitive indicators and other metrics and standards, as well as leads and facilitates performance improvement teams to improve safety and systems processes.
- Collaborates with the CNO, Nursing Leadership and Shared Governance leaders on the development of the nursing strategic plan and ensure align with the entity’s organizational strategic plan and priority areas set by the health system.
- Develops integrated systems of care that ensure efficient and seamless access to care across transitions in care.
- Leads using shared governance that is integrated with HUP’s shared governance model.
- Collaborates with Human Resources on recruitment and retention strategies.
- Works closely with Human Resources to coach and mentor CD’s, managers and other employees for succession planning and career advancement.
- Drives achievement of nursing annual goals/objectives and the nursing strategic plan.
- Communication and Relationship Building:
- Communicates effectively with all levels of nurses, physicians and other health care professionals both orally and in writing.
- Utilizes principles of relationship management to build collaborative teams and partnerships based on open communication, trust, mutual respect, credibility, participatory decision-making and common goals.
- Recruits a diverse workforce age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation and culture.
- Builds consensus by inspiring and influencing positive behaviors among all employees to promote a shared vision, engagement, common work, and consensus in achieving departmental and organizational goals.
- Serves on community- based organization boards, advisory boards, and task forces (minimally one, 2 or more preferred).
- Encourages and supports nurses at all levels to participate in community activities that address population health and health promotion.
- Represents nursing on medical and inter-professional committees, task forces, and advisory groups.
- Collaborate with medical staff leaders and other disciplines in determining needed patient care service lines and developing and implementing policies and procedures, patient care evidence-based guidelines/ protocols and clinical pathways.
- Builds capacity for inter-professional relationships and team-based care and clinical decision-making.
- Maintains zero tolerance for disruptive or punitive behaviors and effectively resolves interprofessional conflicts and disputes.
- Business Skills:
- Develops budgets/business plans in collaboration with the Chief Nursing Officer
- Manages the day-in and day-out operations for area of oversight.
- Implements budget management accountabilities and reports/budget dashboard.
- Uses a business model to ensure that all healthcare providers are accountable for delivering cost effective practices without compromising the quality and safety of patient’s care.
- Maintains a respectful and just culture free and addresses workplace violence, sexual harassment, verbal and physical abuse, bullying, discrimination based on race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other individual differences with sensitivity, openness and corrective action plans.
- Prioritizes electronic health record enhancements to support evidence-based care and efficiency in documentation.
- Serves as exemplary role model for professionalism and achieving personal and professional growth as a leader.
- Engages in scholarly activities and is active in professional organizations
- Creates an environment that fosters nurse autonomy in clinical decision making and interprofessional collaboration and communication.
- Ensures that nurses have opportunities for professional growth, professional development, and career advancement.
- Formulates mutually agreed upon goals for personal and professional development that are clearly articulated and documented in annual performance appraisals for self and all direct reports.
- Ensures that all nurse leaders who conduct annual performance appraisals are held to the same standard
- Participates in the ongoing and annual performance appraisal, peer review process for nursing and interprofessional leader colleagues.
- Upholds ethical principles and corporate compliance standards and holds self and staff accountable to comply with ethical standards of leadership and practice.
- Registered Nurse - PA (Required)
- RN in Pennsylvania as well as certification in field required.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Cert Healthcare Exec
- Certification in Nursing Administration (NEC or NEC-A) or FACHE (Fellow American College of Healthcare Executives) preferred
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Master of Arts or Science (Required)
- Nursing, Health Care Administration, Business Administration, or related field and 5+ years progressive nursing experience required with demonstrated leadership and management skills required.
7+ years progressive management experience in a large complex acute care setting required
A health care provider in good standing with Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health insurance programs, i.e. not excluded from participation in Medicare, Medicaid or any other federal or state health insurance program.
- Bachelor of Science Nursing (Required)
- Ph.D. or DNP preferred, must matriculate into a Doctoral Program upon hire.
10+ years progressive management experience in large complex acute care setting.
3-5 years as Director of Nursing in a large complex/academic medical center.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE