Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Job ID: 153458
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Sep 22, 2022
Work Schedule: 8hr Days
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Pre-registration specialist reports to the Supervisor of Financial Clearance, and directly communicates with patients to verify patient demographics and insurance information. Ensures all financial obligations are communicated to patients clearly, are updated on the account, and are detailed to ensure expeditious processing of patient accounts. This position conducts insurance eligibility checks, verifies insurance information, obtains authorizations/referrals if necessary and if appropriate collects patient responsibility for patients prior to care. Accurately identifies primary and secondary payers. This individual will relay relevant financial information (e.g., price estimates and payment plan options) in a clear and patient-friendly manner. This position works collaboratively with scheduling, financial counseling, and registration staff members to ensure patient wait times are minimized on the day of service.
- Obtains and documents specific details related to the authorization including effective and end dates using the appropriate legacy system and associated software application via patient notes, authorizations, tasks, workflow, phone calls and/or email
- Obtains information to complete Medicare Secondary Payer Questionnaire and other payer specific documents as required
- Certifying patient demographic, insurance, and financial data collected during scheduling and pre-registration activities
- Appropriately collects and/or sets payment arrangements with patients or their representative, scheduling payments on deposits due, which may include screening of patients for enrollment in available credit option programs.
- Effectively communicates with payer to determine extent of coverage and other limitations or co-payments provisions. Maintains knowledge of and complicates with each payer’s requirements for verifying insurance and obtaining pre-authorizations/ pre-certifications
- Documents all information obtained during pre-registration activities. Identifies un-and underinsured and low-income patients; refers them to staff who can help with financial assistance options and other arrangements prior to patient visit
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- H.S. Diploma/GED and 3+ years Work experience in Patient Access, Medical Billing, or Customer service required.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE