Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Lead Echo Technologist - Pennsylvania Hospital
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 154181
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Sep 26, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Responsible for directing the day-to-day activities of hospital-based Echocardiography program in a proactive and responsible manner including the completion of specific daily job assignments and overseeing patient scheduling and flow. Responsible for department facility and equipment and continuous quality improvement. Spends approximately 60% of time in administrative/supervisory role and 40% in patient care assignment. This % is subject to change as needed for the department and patient care. May also be assigned to cover PCPH Echocardiography locations if necessary to care for patients. These locations include Farm Journal, and GSPP. On call is a requirement for this position.
- In their clinical role the incumbent will be responsible for performing highly skilled, specialized non-invasive tests used to diagnose cardiological abnormalities and conduct M-Mode, 2-D, Doppler echocardiogram and color flow Doppler studies in the inpatient, outpatient, office, and satellite laboratories, patient rooms, intensive care units, ER, OR, procedural areas and wherever else necessary. You will work with physicians and notify attending of EKG changes, or Doppler/echo findings requiring immediate action. Also, assists physicians with transesophageal echocardiograms, and perform exercise stress and pharmacologic stress echocardiograms. Accurate analysis and evaluation of all studies will be provided to interpreting physician for review.
- Demonstrates Patient-Centered Care by showing courtesy, compassion, sensitivity and respect in all interactions with patients, visitors and other hospital personnel. Provides emotional support and general information to patient when appropriate, following departmental guidelines for confidential treatment of information according to the HIPAA act.
- Frontline person to triage issues throughout the day for PAH Echo including staffing, equipment, supplies, patient scheduling, patient care, safety, etc. Redeploys staff throughout the day as needed to cover patient care across multiple locations.
- Develops Echo staff monthly schedules and daily assignments across all Echo locations (hospital and practice based) and ensures adequate staffing levels for patient care and volumes. Serves as primary preceptor to new hires, students and agency Technologists. Reviews daily schedule to determine specifications for supplies and equipment. Prepares necessary supplies and sets up echocardiographic equipment to prepare for scheduled studies.
- Oversees TEE high level disinfection program. Assists in accreditation process for PAH Echo Lab. Compile records and maintains files on all tests performed according to procedure as required for accurate and up-to-date records and reports.
- Collaborate with staff, physicians and leaders to improve Echo quality, process improvements and facilitates issue resolution. Assist in developing, planning and executing long term strategies around quality control, outcomes, and processes.
- Performs echocardiographic studies according to ASE, IAC, and department guidelines, using skilled techniques and equipment operation to ensure accurate results. Determines appropriate views; modified studies according to cardiac abnormalities detected; conducts primary readings; notifies attending physicians of EKG changes, or Doppler/echo findings requiring immediate action. Analyzes and evaluates results of studies for review by interpreting physician.
- Initiates correct calls or contacts appropriate resources necessary to provide or obtain emergency services. Provides emergency assistance as required and or directed by the appropriate authority.
- Helps arrange schedule for patient echocardiography studies; prioritizes requests for studies by reviewing orders and securing additional information from referring physicians when necessary.
- Fulfills responsibility to PAH in adherence to hospital and department policies and procedures. Displays continued development of skills in the operation of sophisticated mechanical and electronic instruments and computers correctly in the performance of work activities.
- Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS) via ARDMS or Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS) via CCI required.
- BLS/CPR, as a healthcare provider as per the American Heart Association required.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 2+ years Clinical experience as a cardiac sonographer required.
- Associate of Arts or Science in Cardiovascular Technology from an accredited cardiac ultrasound training program preferred.
- 2+ years Supervisory or Charge/Lead experience preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE