Job ID: 141387
Category: Social Work
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Sep 29, 2022
Work Schedule: Day
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Penn Medicine University City is looking for a Social Worker to work Full-Time with the Ortho PMUC team @ 3737 Market St.!!!!!!
Summary: The social worker will provide and document individualized social work assessment, care planning, intervention and outcome evaluation, and resource support for patients. The Social Worker will be a member of a care team that spans multiple sites and will possess strong coordination and communication skills to provide seamless care for patients in the program.
Collaborates with other members of the health care team to identify patients with complicated psychosocial issues/needs
• Collects initial data systematically from patients, patient charts, and clinician referrals and from other available sources.
• Assesses the needs of patients/families within the limitations of the patient’s support systems and social functioning and in relationship to the patients illness, treatment and care needs • Obtains and documents patients/families psychosocial issues/needs accurately, concisely and in a timely manner.
• Correctly identifies and prioritizes urgent patients/families psychosocial issues/needs that require immediate attention.
• Correctly identifies patients/families needs/issues that may impact continuity of care or affect timely discharge from the hospital.
• Communicates assessment data to appropriate health care team members/resources.
• Collaborates with clinical team at regular meetings to identify difficult cases and develop management plan • Planning: Establishes a plan of care to address identified patients/families psychosocial issues/needs in collaboration with the patient/family, and the health care team.
• Creates a plan of care that addresses the identified needs/issues of the patient/family.
• Documents and communicates the goals to be achieved, the expected behaviors of the patients/families and any linkages/referrals to community/government agencies/programs.
• Modifies/updates plan to reflect changes in patients/families situations. • Develops an organized process/log for tracking patients/families consults and referrals.
• Works with providers to complete, and referrals to patients/families and acts as a liaison between referring agencies/programs and the health care delivery team.
• Assists patients/families to secure financial assistance to assure accessibility of ongoing health care services, including medication
• Maintains up to date knowledge of third payer requirements and the criteria for service referrals.
• Counsels and educates patients/families to understand the benefits of and accept referrals to specialized health care staff and services.
• Provides instruction to patients/families to promote and improve quality of care
• Maintains a working knowledge of the resources available in the community for patients and their families and maintains cooperative relationships with them. • Provides information, paperwork and referral to community and government resources, agencies and programs for ongoing assistance with psychosocial concerns of both patients and families.
• Implementation: Provides consultation, counseling, instruction
• Provides counseling and linkages to services for patients and their families including but not exclusively limited to protective services, foster care, adoption, SCAN, substance abuse, mental health, physical, sexual, emotional and coercive abuse, bereavement counseling, parenting skills and difficulty coping with medical diagnoses or chronic conditions. Accountabilities
• Communicates, coordinates and insures the exchange of both written and verbal communication regarding patients/families issues/needs between referring agencies and the health care delivery team.
• Maintains a patient log of consults/referrals that is current and accurate. • Appropriately documents all case management interventions and maintains complete and accurate records of patient care.
• Completes accurate billing encounters for services provided and assures that encounters are submitted within department timeframes.
• Participates in CEQI endeavors, research projects, JCAHO endeavors and meetings within the department and assigned areas.
• Participates in community activities designed to improve community resources needed for patients/families
• Provides information and education to patients about disease and connects patients to services to support goals of care.
• Interviews and collaborates with patient/family to assess aftercare options providing guidance information and support in decision making
• Coordinates all aspects of the discharge process for patients with complex post-acute needs returning home
• Works with patients and their families to help them understand the impact their illness may have on their lifestyle, family, relationships and home situation • Actively manage patients to decrease Emergency Department admissions and visits.
• Evaluation: Evaluates the appropriateness and effectiveness of interventions and referrals and communicates results or modifications to the health care delivery team.
• Evaluates interventions and referrals through an ongoing assessment process when interacting with patients/families or referral agencies in person, via telephone or written correspondence.
• Documents outcome assessments in medical records (for clinical encounters, EPIC) and required reporting logs.
• Modifies interventions based on patients/families situations and outcomes.
• Communicates interventional outcomes/modifications to the health care delivery team and prepares data collection forms and reports as required.
• Collaborates in CEQI initiatives by identifying patterns of over and under utilization of services and delays in services and makes recommendations to improve access or service quality.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures • Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Master's Degree Social Work And 1+ years Post Masters experience with at least two years of related experience
Demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills
Demonstrated written communication skills
Ability to operate with limited direction
Ability to multi-task
Attentive to detail
Licenses, Registrations, and Certifications Pref: PA License (LSW or LCSW)
Identifies patients who would benefit from social work services in the divisions of Ortho Trauma and Trauma Surgery within the limitations of the patient’s support system. Responsible for contributing to the patient’s treatment plan through an understanding of social, psychological, and/or environmental needs related to the impact of injury and need for surgical assessment and care. Will provide trauma-informed intervention, outreach, and case management. While individual client needs will vary, common objectives may include trauma recovery, life goal setting, behavioral change, and increasing connections to school, social supports and social services. Additionally, the SW will provide assistance in navigating medical, legal and financial issues related to the patient’s injury. The SW will need to effectively collaborate with a broad interdisciplinary team and ensure adherence to established plans and interventions within patient/family and health care team across the continuum of care.
· Identify injured patients in need of social work services, in collaboration with clinical teams, across the continuum of care
· Works with patient and family to provide trauma-related emotional support, mentoring, and advocacy to violence-involved young people
· When appropriate, utilize trauma informed modalities and interventions with patients, including but not limited to Motivational Interviewing, Traumatic Stress Intervention, TF-CBT, and Self-Trauma Model Therapy.
· Assess patient needs and use of health care services within the limitations of the patient’s support system, the patient’s psychological, emotional, and social functioning in relationship to the patient’s injury, and the patient’s comorbidities, treatments and ongoing care needs
· Establish collaborative care plan with patient, family, and health care team, including plans to ameliorate individual and family dysfunction
· Counsel, inform, and refer to community resources for ongoing assistance with social and psycho-social concerns of both patients and families, including support groups, psycho-educational programs as needed
Education or Equivalent Experience:
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.