Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Partner in Patient Care at Pennsylvania Hospital - Part-Time Nights
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 154351
Category: Clinical Support
Work Type: PT 20+ HOURS
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Nights 11p-7a
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Partner in Patient Care supports Registered Nurses and Patient Care Technicians by providing continuous observation and companionship as well as assist with basic patient care needs to those who are prone to fall, on suicidal precautions or have a physician's order that calls for direct observation. Incorporates team focused, collegial relationships to ensure patient safety and improved outcomes. Demonstrates accountability to the patient, family, self and the healthcare team. Accountable for supporting Pennsylvania Hospital's Relationship Based Care Model. Reports directly to the Registered Nurse.
- Provide continuous observation or 1:1 observation and supervision to patients based upon eligibility criteria.
- Document patient behaviors and interventions in the Electronic Medical Record/Flowsheet as appropriate.
- Communicates with patient using interventions to decrease agitation/confusion. This includes the use of optimal stimulation based upon individual patient needs.
- Maintains safety measures for fall and ligature risk patients.
- Ambulates with independent patients.
- Provide diversional activities when appropriate.
- PPC will assist with basic toileting needs limited to: Providing urinal and placing bedpan under patients when needed; for patients who are independently ambulatory, the PPC should ambulate to the bathroom; with patients and remain present keeping patient in line of sight at all times until patient is returned back to bed.
- PPC will assist with basic meal tray set-up; and assist with feeding patients excluding patients who are on Swallowing Precautions. These tasks include assisting with menu selections for patients; prepares meal tray and patient for mealtime; communicate intake on all patients as indicated.
- -Verbally redirects patient over digital 2-way audio device in patient room and promptly summons nursing staff if patient requires assistance or appears to pose a threat to themselves or others
- Remote Surveillance of patient
- Demonstrates proficiency of iObserver software
- Maintains visual observation at all times and observes patient’s environment for safety hazards/ concerns
- Communicates needs directly to the bedside team
- Timely documentation of patient observation in iObserver software
- Screens patients for observation modality and identifying patients who do not meet established criteria to appropriate care
- Provides education, related to program and their role, to patients and visitors
- Exchanges pertinent information/behavior about patient(s) when arriving on the unit and completion of shift
- Arranges meal break times with nurse and informs nurse prior to leaving monitor station for any reason so that relief may be provided to ensure constant patient observation.
- Verbally redirects patient over digital 2-way audio device in patient room and promptly summons nursing staff if patient requires assistance or appears to pose a threat to themselves or others
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED required. 1+ years previous healthcare experience, hospital experience preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE