Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Telemetry Transporter- Patient Transport
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 154022
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Oct 11, 2022
Work Schedule: To Be Determined
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Department of Patient Transport at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is seeking a Full-Time Telemetry Transporter:
- Primary duty is to transport patients throughout the medical complex in a safe, courteous, and timely manner. When appropriate and requested by clinical personnel the Telemetry Transporter will monitor the patient's vital signs including heart rate, blood pressure, respiratory rate, lung sounds, VAD parameters, pulse oximetry, and ECG tracings via appropriate monitor. In addition, the Telemetry Transporter will continuously assess the patient's overall condition and immediately notify the patient's nurse if any adverse conditions are detected or observed. When necessary, Telemetry Transporter Initiate Rapid Response and Code Calls for patients in declining status. Responds to assigned clinical emergencies and partakes in the hospital emergency preparedness plan for internal and external emergency management. Assists with patient movement when transferring patients from bed to wheelchair or stretcher. Carry out minor patient care duties while the patient is in transit. Transports deceased patients to the hospital morgue. Updates appropriate transport tracking system through use of assigned cell phone to maintain accurate location and times associated with patient transports.
- Ensures all requirements are met in order to maintain active EMT and CPR certification.
- All transport assignments should be responded to in a safe and timely manner. Throughout the medical center, transporter maintains a constant focus on the safety and well-being of any patient in their care. Proper techniques and equipment should be utilized to facilitate safe, efficient and timely movement of patients.
- Follows hospital established protocols/policies and procedures when verifying patient identity. Ensures “Ticket to Ride” is updated accordingly, always including date, time and signature of Transporter and RN. Receives and relays pertinent patient information to Nursing/Provider staff at the start and completion of every transport and at every appropriate hand-off point; completing all required documentation. Maintains patient's chart during transport and ensures confidentiality of patient information at all times.
- Utilizes “Safe Patient Handling” techniques when transferring patients to wheelchairs, stretchers, beds, and procedure tables. Assists hospital staff with the movement of patients as needed.
- Secures patient and any appropriate equipment prior to lifting, moving or transporting. When required assures adequate oxygen tank, IVs, drainage tubes, etc. are available prior to start of transport and upon arrival to destination. Connects patient to appropriate monitoring devices prior to and upon completion of every telemetry transport.
- Immediately alerts care providers, as well as the Dispatcher, Shift Supervisor/Manager/Director to any signs of patient distress, equipment malfunction, and unsafe conditions
- Clocks in and out of E*Star on time and promptly logs into appropriate transport tracking system within the department designated timeframe of scheduled shift time. When necessary advises dispatcher of availability in a timely manner. Acknowledges receipt of assignment, updates whereabouts immediately upon arrival and exit from location or destination, and acknowledges completion of assignments in real time.
- Informs patient of any pending actions prior to attaching monitoring equipment including BP Cuffs, Monitor Leads, Pulse Ox, etc.
- When not assigned to active transports utilize downtime to check and properly store Department equipment.
- Follows hospital established protocols/policies and procedures for isolations precautions, hand hygiene and Personal Protective Equipment.
- Obtains passing score on annual dysrhythmia recertification exam.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- CPR/BCLS (Required)
- Pennsylvania or National Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certification (Required)
- UPHS Telemetry Transporter Training Program must be completed within two attempts, post-hire or internal transfer into position. Training program consists of classroom instruction through Penn Medicine Academy and on the job evaluation of competencies by preceptor.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- H.S. Diploma/GED and 1+ years EMS or patient transport (Required)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE