Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Director of Pharmacy Services - Pennsylvania Hospital
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 155436
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Oct 12, 2022
Work Schedule: Days (24/7)
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- In conjunction with the Senior Director of Hospital Clinical Operations, provides leadership, administrative support and management for programs/services within the Hospital Clinical Operations Division. Participates in team leadership that spans each functional discipline within Inpatient Pharmacy, Outpatient Pharmacy and Infusion Pharmacy. Works in collaborative partnership with the division's clinical leadership, Nursing, Providers and other clinical staff. Participates as a member of the Hospital Clinical Operations Leadership Team in the creation/implementation of department policies and procedures consistent with the organization's mission and care philosophy. Participates in planning and development of department goals, and oversees the function of programs/services consistent with them. Promotes and insures that the highest quality of care is provided to patients and families. Represents Pharmacy Services on various internal and external committees, organizations, and associations. Promotes and insures that the highest quality of care is rendered to patients. Strives to maximize the utilization of the department's physical, financial and human resources. Develop and provides tactical/strategic direction for Pharmacy Services in collaboration with Penn Medicine Service Lines, Integration Teams, Physician Chairs, Medical Directors, Director of Hospital Clinical Operations and other key stakeholders to achieve programmatic goals/objectives to meet the highest standards in quality, safety, access and service.
- The Director is responsible for and manages the overall operations and daily activities of Pharmacy Services. Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills with the medical staff, administrative staff, peers and the direct report employees of the hospital. Has responsibility for twenty-four (24) hours per day operation of the department. Supervises all departmental employees, including managers, supervisors, clinical pharmacy specialists, pharmacists, technicians and support staff. Establish programs to insure patient, nursing, financial and physician issues are identified and addressed. Areas of responsibility include: Inpatient Pharmacy, Outpatient Pharmacy and Infusion Pharmacy.
- Quality/Safety - Establishing/maintaining all Pharmacy Services Quality/Safety Improvements working in collaboration/parallel of other quality programs from Penn Medicine Service Lines, Integration Teams, Physician Chairs, Medical Directors, Nursing, Pharmacy, and other key stakeholders, and lead PAH Pharmacy Services Clinical Operations Quality Improvements through the “Operations Performance Improvement Committee.”
- Regulatory - Leading/assisting Pharmacy Services meeting all regulatory/accreditation requirements regardless of source such as FDA, USP, CMS, DOH, TJC, or other accrediting bodies on an ongoing basis.
- Patient/Staff Satisfaction - Facilitating/maintaining patient, physician and staff satisfaction, employee engagement and employee culture of safety. Establishing and maintaining formal and informal employee recognition programs.
- Transitions in Care- Collaborating with Interdisciplinary Clinical Operation Leaders throughout Penn Medicine, including but not limited to PAH, Service Lines, Integration Teams and Ambulatory Partners.
- Operations - Establishing/maintaining all Pharmacy Services with 24/7 Accountability and Operational Management of the following areas: Inpatient, Outpatient and Infusion Pharmacy.
- Planning - Developing/implementing PAH Pharmacy Services Plan in collaboration with all key PAH/Penn Medicine stakeholders. Collaborate with Service Lines/Disease Teams in however they present and require support across the Pharmacy Services domains. Work as a tactical/strategic partner with the Interdisciplinary Teams across Penn Medicine. All to maximize safety, quality of care, patient access and revenue.
- Resource Utilization – Maximizing/managing utilization of Pharmacy Services resources, including but not limited to human resources (scheduling), supply chain (maintaining par levels in all areas, ordering the appropriate supplies), capital/purchases, and clinical efficiencies/throughput.
- Fiscal Controls – Establishing/maintaining fiscal controls to maximize the utilization of Pharmacy Service’s physical, financial (expense & revenue) and human resources through standardized budget development/implementation, variance reporting, charge capture review, revenue testing, cash and co-pay controls. Facilitation/utilization of data/predictive analytics to assist with resource allocations and requests.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- Bachelor’s of Science or PharmD
3+ years Experience as a manager or administrator of a hospital pharmacy
10+ years Hospital Pharmacy experience.
Current Membership in Professional Organizations preferred
- Master of Arts or Science
- 3+ years Business, Allied Health or related field.
- 340 B experience highly desired.
- Acute care hospital pharmacy management experience highly preferred vs. retail experience.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE