Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 156207
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Variable
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Responsible for clinical aspects for academic surgeons with major clinical focus and affiliated research and educational duties. Customer Service – including patient and employee satisfaction and risk management activities. Responsible for the coordination and administration of special projects as assigned by the Chief and Business Director including but not limited to those related to development, marketing and communication, faculty recruitment, surgery education and programs to enhance patient and staff satisfaction. Promotes a team environment that values employee satisfaction and professional ownership and acts as an administrative resource to the division.
- Assists attending physician with outpatient Surgery office hours.
- Schedule operative procedures for patients at attending physician’s direction. This includes completion of chart management, forms and follow-up to ensure that all necessary preadmission testing has been scheduled and results are available prior to surgery.
- Transcribe, copy and disseminate follow-up patient correspondence, operation reports, and discharge notes to patients and referring physicians.
- Assist patients with referrals, scheduling for follow up visits questions on pre-operative preparations and surgical admissions.
- Ensure that all operative reports and encounter forms are turned in for billing within designated timeframes.
- Assist with the completion of disability forms.
- Coordinate special needs (wheelchairs, interpreter, etc.)
- Provide cross coverage for designated co-workers per guidelines and a s direct by supervisor.
- Physician Support – Clinical and Academic
- Update CV and CME’s
- Appropriate updating of MD credentialing (MD license, DEA privileges)
- Compilation and submission of expense for travel subscriptions, memberships and books for reimbursement in a timely fashion.
- Maintain/Coordinate physician’s daily calendar, surgery schedule, office hours and meetings.
- Open, read and prioritize all physician’s mail.
- Answer and screen all phone calls.
- Take appropriate messages for the physician or delegate calls to appropriate staff support.
- Assist with travel and lodging arrangements.
- Provide comprehensive administrative support to the office of the Division Chief.
- Interact with associated executive staff.
- Process affiliated physicians credentialing.
- Compose/transcribe recommendation letters for staff medical students.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the physician.
- Research Related Responsibilities
- Interact with individuals/patients associated with clinical trials as well as supply information to patients enrolled in these studies.
- Schedule follow up studies as directed by the trial protocol.
- Coordinate submission and approval of journal articles, manuscripts and permissions as directed by physician.
- Maintain office supplies as needed
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 5+ years Medical Secretary
- Bachelor of Arts or Science
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE